Thread: Audi Releases Details On Gas Extended Version Of Q7 e-tron PHEV

Audi Releases Details On Gas Extended Version Of Q7 e-tron PHEV

Specs:

• 2.0 four-cylinder petrol engine 185 kW (252 hp) of power and 370 Nm (272.9 lb-ft) of torque
    • eight-speed tiptronic automatic transmission
    • disk-shaped electric motor 94 kW and 350 Nm (258.1 lb-ft) of torque integrated into the transmission
    • total system power 270 kW (367 hp) and 700 Nm (516.3 lb-ft) of system torque
    • 0 to 100 km/h (62.1 mph) in 5.9 seconds
    • top speed 220 km/h 137 mph)
    • 17.3 kWh lithium-ion battery pack
    • all-electric range 53 kilometers (32.9 mi)
    • consuming just 2.5 liters of fuel per 100 kilometers (94.1 US mpg) – method specified in China for plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEV)

Quote Originally Posted by Xpress View Post

Specs:

• 2.0 four-cylinder petrol engine 185 kW (252 hp) of power and 370 Nm (272.9 lb-ft) of torque
    • eight-speed tiptronic automatic transmission
    • disk-shaped electric motor 94 kW and 350 Nm (258.1 lb-ft) of torque integrated into the transmission
    • total system power 270 kW (367 hp) and 700 Nm (516.3 lb-ft) of system torque
    • 0 to 100 km/h (62.1 mph) in 5.9 seconds
    • top speed 220 km/h 137 mph)
    • 17.3 kWh lithium-ion battery pack
    • all-electric range 53 kilometers (32.9 mi)
    • consuming just 2.5 liters of fuel per 100 kilometers (94.1 US mpg) – method specified in China for plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEV)
    I think this part is important
    "28.3 – 41.3 US mpg"

Although better than a current Q7 (19-28 mpg) it really isn't a massive advantage when compared to the complexity of the overall drive system. Keeping a normal audi running more than a four or five years past warranty is an expensive proposition (scheduled maintenance can run into the thousands of dollars depending on service interval), I wouldn't even want to imagine what this would be like.

- - - Updated - - -

and it's likely going to be heavier and have less cargo room than the normal Q7. and cost more.

I'm going to pick nits and split hairs now.
    When the the thing has an 8 speed automatic transmission, and the electric motor is less than 40% of the hp of the ICE and integrated into the transmission - I don't think it is a "gas extended" anything, it is a hybrid.
    Dogma police!
    Model S Signature 106
    Roadster 587

Quote Originally Posted by richkae View Post
    I'm going to pick nits and split hairs now.
    When the the thing has an 8 speed automatic transmission, and the electric motor is less than 40% of the hp of the ICE and integrated into the transmission - I don't think it is a "gas extended" anything, it is a hybrid.
    Dogma police!
    More generally, it's often argued here that there is no such thing as a gas extended anything period.
    But yes, with a 94 kW electric motor vs. 270 kW total system power, I think all can agree this is a plug-in hybrid pure and simple.
    Volt owner. Model 3 enthusiast.
    “Tesla will likely provide both pure electric and range extended electric drive options in the future. We refer to the latter as a REEV (Range Extended Electric Vehicle) to distinguish it from “hybrids,” which are really just gasoline engine cars with a small electric motor and tiny battery.” – E. Musk, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by 30seconds View Post
    I think this part is important
    "28.3 – 41.3 US mpg"

Although better than a current Q7 (19-28 mpg) it really isn't a massive advantage when compared to the complexity of the overall drive system. Keeping a normal audi running more than a four or five years past warranty is an expensive proposition (scheduled maintenance can run into the thousands of dollars depending on service interval), I wouldn't even want to imagine what this would be like.

- - - Updated - - -

and it's likely going to be heavier and have less cargo room than the normal Q7. and cost more.
    Actually except for the Diesel version (which has quite a bit less power than the hybrid), the normal Q7 gets 16-22 mpg.
    Res seq #12535, 85kWh non-perf, Grey/Grey/Obeche matte, Tech; Delivered 2/20/13

Quote Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
    • top speed 220 km/h (137 mph)
    "Totally unacceptable for the Autobahn. How can they look themselves in the mirror every morning with such a vehicle?"
    TesS: P85 Sig. | Mercury: Petunia ate five donuts.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship
    PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

The Q7 e-tron has a larger battery and a more powerful electric motor than the Volvo XC90 T8 or the BMW x5 40e. Based on that it's my favourite electricified SUV out there (except for the Model X of course). Will be interesting to see how price and availability compares between the two.
    2013 Tesla Model S P85: 12.417 @ 111.570 MPH

Performance 85kWh, custom 19" Forgestar c5fv wheels, white/black/CF, pano,sound,tech,twin chargers!

Thread Information