Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D: 10,000 miles in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
Well, I just hit 10,000 miles in my P85D and I can confidently say the experience has been nothing short of magical.

First, the learning curve was not steep at all - I felt immediately comfortable with the driving dynamics, controls (including learning how to use the touchscreen), and having driven electric cars for about two years prior, not having to switch gears and smooth acceleration. The large car size took a little getting used to, coming from a Fiat 500e and Audi TT, but the spacious interior has definitely been worth it.

Sure, there has been a few issues such as a hum in the rear motor which had to be replaced, delay in getting my next-gen seats installed and the long-promised torque sleep software, and most recently a widespread shock assembly issue that hasn't been resolved yet. But the Tesla service experience has been fabulous so far and I feel very well treated by the entire team. Road trips have also been a breeze thanks to the ever-improving supercharger network.

The most amazing thing though has been the constant improvements via software updates. Having never owned a Model S before, this has been the single most surprising and pleasant aspect of the ownership experience that comforts me and gives me confidence in the desire to keep this car for the long term. Of course there will be newer models, larger battery packs, new features in the near future that I will miss out on (e.g. heated steering wheel which I just missed out on by a couple of weeks) but I find it amazing that the car's capabilities are still going to be improving over time without even having to bring the car in for service.

I realize this could still be the "honeymoon period" effect, but I'm still in love and hope to be for the foreseeable future :love:

IMG_8111.jpg

Last edited:
1500mi on mine. Question for all of you, do you leave "range mode" on to take advantage of torque sleep? I keep my "range mode" on, and I'm averaging about 360-370 W/Mi. I just wish there was a way to take advantage on torque sleep without losing HVAC performance.

1500mi on mine. Question for all of you, do you leave "range mode" on to take advantage of torque sleep? I keep my "range mode" on, and I'm averaging about 360-370 W/Mi. I just wish there was a way to take advantage on torque sleep without losing HVAC performance.

6k+ miles here. Only use range mode when on long trips.

The air conditioning in range mode works much better when you turn on recirculate.

I only use range mode on trips when I need it. I'm still convinced that there must be a con to using it other than HVAC, otherwise Tesla wouldn't have exposed the option. My guess is that it changes the tolerances for pack heating and cooling, which likely has an effect on degradation. I would not drive in range mode 100% of the time.

So even after the 10,000 miles, has the novelty worn off?

This is kinda what I'm wondering, too. It's clear from the original post that you're still loving the car.

What I'm curious about, though, is how often you still use the 3 second acceleration these days?

Only when showing the car to somebody new? Every single morning with a bright grin or a little giddy laugh? Somewhere in between?

Inquiring minds want to know... :)
Walter

Last edited:
To be honest - and I'm not speaking for MarcG here - doing true Insane mode every day gets old quickly. Yes, I love taking off at the on-ramps every single morning (and I make sure that I make it to the lane which goes first in a two-lane quick one-two light situation :)) but, regular Sport mode is plenty as I come up alongside moving freeway traffic way too fast as it is.

This is kinda what I'm wondering, too. It's clear from the original post that you're still loving the car.

What I'm curious about, though, is how often you still use the 3 second acceleration these days?

Only when showing the car to somebody new? Every single morning with a bright grin or a little giddy laugh? Somewhere in between?

Inquiring minds want to know... :)
Walter

My P85 still feels new and it's 0-xx hasn't worn off after 2 1/2 + years.
can't image awd pulling through corners instead of sliding around them

Thanks everyone!
To answer a few questions:

- Yes, I've been having lots of fun with it and still do
- No, the novelty has NOT worn off!!
- Ever since torque sleep was released, I've kept the car in INSANE and RANGE MODE = ON
- I haven't felt that the HVAC is not efficient enough due to RANGE MODE being ON, so I haven't bothered turning it off
- My lifetime average is certainly higher than it would have been had the torque sleep been available from day 1, however I do still have lots of fun driving fast when range isn't a concern
- I don't necessarily launch the full 0-60 mph every day, but definitely utilize the INSANE acceleration for 0-30/40 from a stop light/sign, to pass others, on on-ramps, and of course show newbies what this baby can do!