Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NOT happy about the MANUAL lift gate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I confirmed last week without the premium package, thinking I could live with the manual lift gate. Went to the SC today to try it out because it's been bugging me... I did not like it at all. I'm pretty petite at 5'1" but in pretty good shape so thought I wouldn't have an issue. WRONG! Opening is not too bad, but closing it felt heavy to me and I don't even want to think of the scratches there will be from my rings and having to shut the trunk firmly.

I have LOVED everything about Tesla and have promoted them every chance I get. So I find myself in unfamiliar territory with the feeling of resent and anger towards Tesla for most likely forcing me to spend $3,000 (plus the change fee) for the one thing I want in the package..a power lift gate.. and for something I don't like the look of..the alcantara headliner.

Venting done...hopefully something changes before my car goes into production but this whole issue has left a scar against Tesla in my eyes.

The car automatically comes with Nav and stuff so why couldn't you buy the premium pack? even with the autopilot package the car is about $1,000 more (with better leather, lighting etc.) than the previous pricing.

While I agree that the premium package is a good deal if you want the alcantara headliner.. I just don't like it and hate having to pay for it...i'm just not happy that the power lift gate is a Premium Option. I will gladly pay for it separately though :)

Thanks though for pointing that out :)

While I agree that the premium package is a good deal if you want the alcantara headliner.. I just don't like it and hate having to pay for it...i'm just not happy that the power lift gate is a Premium Option. I will gladly pay for it separately though :)

Thanks though for pointing that out :)

I think you replied to my thread where I was griping about the same thing. I am really not looking forward to the manual lift nor do I want to spend an additional $50 a month for it.

Really bums me out that the option for the lift is part of more aesthetic items. It really should be its own line item.

I have yet to hit confirm on my order in hopes that a change is made. I think I have a whopping 5 days left. Not holding my breath and not looking forward to tinkering with the lift every time I go golfing.

I also do not want the headliner. I went with Textile. IMHO I think it might not be the most aesthetic combination.

I think you replied to my thread where I was griping about the same thing. I am really not looking forward to the manual lift nor do I want to spend an additional $50 a month for it.

Really bums me out that the option for the lift is part of more aesthetic items. It really should be its own line item.

I have yet to hit confirm on my order in hopes that a change is made. I think I have a whopping 5 days left. Not holding my breath and not looking forward to tinkering with the lift every time I go golfing.

I also do not want the headliner. I went with Textile. IMHO I think it might not be the most aesthetic combination.

Yes, I did reply, but it seems like that thread lost some steam after the price reduction so wanted to keep the discussion going. The sales manager recommended I wait before adding the premium package just in case something changes. Apparently, we are not the only ones griping about it.

I agree it's too bad about the lift gate. One thing that is often overlooked about it is that it can be closed with the keyfob too. That really makes it great if your laden down with items that make it tricky to reach up.

On another note, I really like the Alcantara headliner. Thus, if I were ordering today the Premium Interior and Lighting Package would have been on my list regardless of the lift gate situation. I've also been in a car with the additional leather, and while I wouldn't pay for that specifically, I did notice that the armrests were a bit nicer with the genuine leather.

In the end, I spend a lot of time in the car, and the additional niceties are something that I'm glad I have (I don't have what was formally called the Extended Leather option).

I agree it's too bad about the lift gate. One thing that is often overlooked about it is that it can be closed with the keyfob too. That really makes it great if your laden down with items that make it tricky to reach up.

Didn't know that about the keyfob closing the power lift gate. Good tip!

As for the alcantara, while I don't like the look of it, I could probably learn to live with it. Just hate that I wouldn't have a choice.

Just an opinion, but after 28 months (and 2 days - but who's counting?) and 56,000 miles, with three kids and a smiling yellow lab, I must say that I would be very disappointed to not have the power lift gate. Restated: I strongly recommend it. With and without the keyfob, and (don't forget also) from the touchscreen tab, I open and close this at least 4 times every day, some days 20-plus. Really. Silly they tied it to alcantara - sounds like a Congressional pork barrel!

One quick note, Alcaterra is no longer mandatory with the premium package, when you select the premium package it defaults you to the lighter alcaterra, but it allows you to manually select the cloth roof. (no discount)

I still don't like the whole idea of needing to get the premium package to get the lift gate, but if you really don't like the alcaterra you can choose to skip it now.

I may have spoke too soon, previously when you selected the premium interior package the only interior headliner choices were the two alcaterra ones. Now when you choose the premium interior package all 3 headliners are shown, however selecting the cloth one de-selects the premium package.

Seems they changed the way the design studio presents the option, but not the option itself as I had originally thought.

Sorry...

More importantly, the automatic liftgate lets you set how high it opens so you can set it fairly low and avoid hitting the garage roof (then manually lift it the rest of the way if there is enough headroom). The amount you save in bodywork will more than pay for the option.

Just be glad the Premium Package is not $5,000 like it used to be.

A bunch of us whined quite a bit to get that package down to $3,000. I agree with you completely that the lift gate is a must for this car but IMHO the $3,000 is not a bad value for the lift gate and the other niceties that you get... Though about $2,000 or $2,500 would have been more fair...

This is how stupid I am - I'm buying a new Model S to get the autopilot feature (that's not the stupid part) - and I thought a long time about the power liftgate and whether I'd miss it (THAT's the stupid part -see below).

Then I realized, as I was OPENING THE MANUAL LIFTGATE ON MY 2011 VOLT WHICH I NOW HAVE TO DRIVE UNTIL I GET MY NEW MODEL S, that I've never ONCE been bothered by having to open my Volts hatchback!!! I will miss the powered liftgate NOT ONE BIT!!

Not arguing its a bad thing or anything - just didn't do anything for me particularly.

This is how stupid I am - I'm buying a new Model S to get the autopilot feature (that's not the stupid part) - and I thought a long time about the power liftgate and whether I'd miss it (THAT's the stupid part -see below).

Then I realized, as I was OPENING THE MANUAL LIFTGATE ON MY 2011 VOLT WHICH I NOW HAVE TO DRIVE UNTIL I GET MY NEW MODEL S, that I've never ONCE been bothered by having to open my Volts hatchback!!! I will miss the powered liftgate NOT ONE BIT!!

Not arguing its a bad thing or anything - just didn't do anything for me particularly.

I suspect many of us already have vehicles with this feature and consider it essential...