Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistically, how much is my Model S worth today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to find an aggregate thread where other people were asking this question, but I couldn't find one. So I thought I'd start a new thread and maybe other owners can use this thread to get advice/feedback on their current value of their Model S.

I am hoping for some feedback (maybe from those we recently sold their MS), on what my Model S is worth today. Just looking for honest feedback.

• Model S 85kWh
  • Miles: 16,000
  • Purchased: Jan 31, 2014 (before autopilot)
  • Cost: $92,000 (before tax)
  • Options: Dual Chargers, Smart Air, Tech Package, Pano Roof, Fog Lights, 19" wheels
  • Additions: Full Xpel on front fenders and rear bumper ($2500), Opticoat under Xpel and over entire car ($1000)
  • Condition: no accidents, body in flawless condition, 1 curbed wheel, always garaged.

Thanks much for any feedback.

Last edited:
I tried to find an aggregate thread where other people were asking this question, but I couldn't find one. So I thought I'd start a new thread and maybe other owners can use this thread to get advice/feedback on their current value of their Model S.

I am hoping for some feedback (maybe from those we recently sold their MS), on what my Model S is worth today. Just looking for honest feedback.

• Model S 85kWh
  • Purchased: Jan 31, 2014 (before autopilot)
  • Cost: $92,000 (before tax)
  • Options: Dual Chargers, Smart Air, Tech Package, Pano Roof, Fog Lights, 19" wheels
  • Additions: Full Xpel on front fenders and rear bumper ($2500), Opticoat under Xpel and over entire car ($1000)
  • Condition: no accidents, body in flawless condition, 1 curbed wheel, always garaged.

Thanks much for any feedback.

I think the rule is: "As much as the market will bear". You just gotta find that point.

At 30 months old with 67,000 miles on my Tesla, Tesla's rule of thumb says I owe them money to take it. Good thing I don't want to trade it in.

My calculator puts you at around 70k. Of course, I wrote it in December. I'm not sure how the 70D release is affecting resale values of S85s.
Also, being in Boston I would think the lack of AWD may be an issue for local buyers.
I think this 70D build is comparable (range/performance):

- 70D ($57,500)
- Smart Air ($2500)
- Pano ($1500)
- "Old gen" leather seats ($1750)
- Obeche wood ($750)
- Solid white paint ($0)
- Std 19" wheels ($0)

I skipped the premium interior/lighting package, as I'm not sure it's fair to add $3000 to the comparison just for foglights.

Add dual chargers ($2000 after delivery), and that comes out to $73,500 after fed and MA state incentives, for pretty much the same car new, with AWD, and the option to add autopilot later. I think that's your price ceiling.

It's early to tell how the 70D will impact used S85 sales, but I don't think it's going to be good. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but even throwing in $1200 for doc/delivery fee, I'd be hard pressed to pay $70k for a car that I can get new, with AWD, for less than $75k.

- 70D ($57,500)
- Smart Air ($2500)
- Pano ($1500)
- "Old gen" leather seats ($1750)
- Obeche wood ($750)
- Solid white paint ($0)
- Std 19" wheels ($0)

I skipped the premium interior/lighting package, as I'm not sure it's fair to add $3000 to the comparison just for foglights.

Add dual chargers ($2000 after delivery), and that comes out to $73,500 after fed and MA state incentives, for pretty much the same car new, with AWD, and the option to add autopilot later. I think that's your price ceiling.

It's early to tell how the 70D will impact used S85 sales, but I don't think it's going to be good. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but even throwing in $1200 for doc/delivery fee, I'd be hard pressed to pay $70k for a car that I can get new, with AWD, for less than $75k.

Really interesting breakdown, tga! I think what this shows is that the S85 (without dual motor) is slowly becoming obsolete. You can get a comparable car for cheaper. I just re-priced out my S85 on the Tesla website and it came out to $89k. So that's about a $5k difference for 25 miles of additional range. Is that the only major difference?

BTW- what happened to dual chargers on the Tesla website? Do all cars now come with dual chargers?

Tesla still makes the exact car he has. I'd say that is more comparable. Might as well compare like-to-like rather than assuming someone wants to trade off range for AWD. This car new is currently between $79.7k and $82.7k depending on how much value you put into the power liftgate, lighted door handles, and fog/cornering lights that came with its Tech package.

That said, considering the miles and being a year old with no autopilot capabilities, I agree with your general conclusion that I personally wouldn't pay $70k for it. Luxury car value drops extremely fast those first few years. I'd suggest somewhere in the mid-to-upper $60ks, as a gut feeling. Check out the for sale section for recent historical sales and also completed listings on eBay. That should give you a pretty good idea.

Tesla still makes the exact car he has. I'd say that is more comparable. Might as well compare like-to-like rather than assuming someone wants to trade off range for AWD. This car new is currently between $79.7k and $82.7k depending on how much value you put into the power liftgate, lighted door handles, and fog/cornering lights that came with its Tech package.

That said, considering the miles and being a year old with no autopilot capabilities, I agree with your general conclusion that I personally wouldn't pay $70k for it. Luxury car value drops extremely fast those first few years. I'd suggest somewhere in the mid $60ks, as a gut feeling. Check out the for sale section for recent historical sales and also completed listings on eBay. That should give you a pretty good idea.

Thanks Gizmo. Just punching the numbers in and rebuilding my car came out to $89k+$1.2k regulatory. So right around $90k. After tax on $90k it would be $95.6k. If priced around $75k with tax would be around $79.5k to the buyer ($5k savings compared to new after the rebates). At $70k after tax it would be $75k ($10k savings compared to new after the rebates). I guess it all depends on how the buyer views a used car with 16,000 miles on it compared to brand new.

Enjoying all of the discussion, thanks all.

Really interesting breakdown, tga! I think what this shows is that the S85 (without dual motor) is slowly becoming obsolete. You can get a comparable car for cheaper. I just re-priced out my S85 on the Tesla website and it came out to $89k. So that's about a $5k difference for 25 miles of additional range. Is that the only major difference?

The lower range has a one more subtle effect. Supercharging that extra 25 miles on a 70D can take almost half hour more. So on out of town trips it can become a real annoyance depending on the distances between charging locations. For daily use, even a 60/40 was fine.

Based on my limited experience in the California market, I'd bet somewhere in the $62k-68k range.

pre-70D, maybe. but now? no way. probably looking at the mid-high 50s unfortunately. The 70D is just such a great value now, and it includes the autopilot hardware. Trying to sell it in the 60s isn't worth it due to what you can get brand new for just 10k more.

Well, don't forget that the buyer receives a $10k total rebate in your state for buying new. Those differences in your example are actually more like $5k and $10k. Not very much discount at all for a high mileage year old car.

Edit: Ah! You made a ninja edit and came to the same conclusion. :)

So that's about a $5k difference for 25 miles of additional range. Is that the only major difference?
As far as I can tell - similar performance (top speed, 0-60, hp), AWD vs RWD, frunk space, and $5k. Step up to the 85D (another $5k), and you get 1 sec improvement in 0-60, higher top speed, and tiny bit more range.

As ToddRLockwood pointed out, it seems like the 70D is the equivalent of last year's S85, and the 85D is the equivalent of last year's P85.

BTW- what happened to dual chargers on the Tesla website? Do all cars now come with dual chargers?
All cars now come with a single charger. If you want dual, only option is service center installation after delivery. The price for post-delivery installation was dropped from $3600 to $2000. Presumably this was done to streamline the assembly line.

EDIT: Blue_Model_S adds a good point about supercharging times

Last edited:
Well, don't forget that the buyer receives a $10k total rebate in your state for buying new. Those differences in your example are actually more like $5k and $10k. Not very much discount at all for a high mileage year old car.

Edit: Ah! You made a ninja edit and came to the same conclusion. :)

haha yes, I caught myself right after I posted it ;) almost missed that key factor.

Thanks tga, I hadn't read about them stopping dual chargers in production. That adds a little more value then I guess.

I think your biggest resale impact is going to be the introduction of TACC, which is I believe is of real value, and other autopilot fluff which people love to talk and brag about.

The AWD I don't believe has much value in warmer climates and in fact the reduced range of a 70D compared to 85, IMHO, is going to be more than nuisance once people realize it. So once the initial frenzy of 70D settles down, I don't think it will be considered a like to like substitute for 85. Range is king. 2 motors or 10, doesn't mean much if you can't go the distance and charge quicker. Remember how 'A' battery users were upset because it charges slower in a SC. Similar charging difference would be between 70 and 80 kwh.

I think your biggest resale impact is going to be the introduction of TACC, which is I believe is of real value, and other autopilot fluff which people love to talk and brag about.

The AWD I don't believe has much value in warmer climates and in fact the reduced range of a 70D compared to 85, IMHO, is going to be more than nuisance once people realize it. So once the initial frenzy of 70D settles down, I don't think it will be considered a like to like substitute for 85. Range is king. 2 motors or 10, doesn't mean much if you can't go the distance and charge quicker. Remember how 'A' battery users were upset because it charges slower in a SC. Similar charging difference would be between 70 and 80 kwh.

Sorry, mkjay, what is TACC?

Recent Manheim auction sales

04/01/15
Regular$75,00010,411Above
ELAYes
03/26/15
Regular$70,00021,870Avg
ELAYes
03/25/15
Regular$65,0009,516Below
ELAYes
03/19/15