Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Loud clunk when letting off accelerator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just Curious if anyone else had experienced this. I was delivering a P85 with 16k miles to a customer and every time I let off the petal there was fairly loud clunk coming from the right rear wheel. I've driven a bunch of different MS and never experienced this. When I informed my customer she said it had been doing that since it was new. Any thoughts?

Just Curious if anyone else had experienced this. I was delivering a P85 with 16k miles to a customer and every time I let off the petal there was fairly loud clunk coming from the right rear wheel. I've driven a bunch of different MS and never experienced this. When I informed my customer she said it had been doing that since it was new. Any thoughts?
This is exactly what was happening to mine just before the drive train failed. Get it to a service center soon.

Drivetrain issue. I just had mine replaced a few months ago for something similar. There are a few potential causes. Some Tesla considers "cosmetic", some are easily fixed (loose lower control arms), and some may lead to premature drivetrain failure. They have a whole process they go through to see which it is.

Mine supposedly fell into the "cosmetic" range, but exceeded some volume threshold that caused them to replace it anyway. It had done it since the very first day I picked it up at the factory.

So, definitely inform your customer to get that thing to the SC as soon as they can.

Mine has that. Sounds and feels like a loose U-joint. My service center said it was "normal". I later developed a loud electrical buzz and my service center says now they will replace the drive unit either because of the buzz or because of the combination of the buzz and the clunk. Waiting for them to call me based on parts availability.

Drivetrain issue--known problem. Service center will replace drive unit. Surprised it has been there since delivery. When I was in for my 24k service 3 months ago, I had my drive unit replaced for a low level intermittent clunk from the rear. No milling noise, no buzzing, no warning messages. FWIW, the service tech is required to try the TSB shim fix first, and, if the sounds do not go away, then they are authorized to replace the drive unit. There also is a retrofit new motor mount bracket that gets replaced at the same time.

I am wondering if this is what I am now experiencing as well. From a full stop, pressing down the accelerator results in a low frequency click (with an echoing sound) that is definitely louder when the window is down and appears to come from the driver side rear. It also is heard when lifting off the accelerator at lower speeds. (Maybe the sound is there at higher speeds, but with the wind and other noises it is hard to tell.) I feel like this is something new.

I am wondering if this is what I am now experiencing as well. From a full stop, pressing down the accelerator results in a low frequency click (with an echoing sound) that is definitely louder when the window is down and appears to come from the driver side rear. It also is heard when lifting off the accelerator at lower speeds. (Maybe the sound is there at higher speeds, but with the wind and other noises it is hard to tell.) I feel like this is something new.

When accelerating and decelerating at low speeds going back and forth (stop and go) and you hear a clunk going back and forth, it's the normal drive train clunk. Bring it in, they will replace the motor with a refurb motor with the revised shims and new motor mounts. Should be done in 1/2 a day or so.

I have an appointment scheduled in a couple weeks for a tire rotation, and while it's in they're going to look at this exact issue for me. The Tysons service center deemed it non-urgent (and they said somewhat common, presumably for older cars), otherwise I imagine they'd have tried to fit me in sooner. I started hearing the noise maybe 3-4 weeks ago. Hasn't affected driving as far as I can tell but I did like the car more without the noise. :)

FWIW, I have ~21K miles.

Can I just say THANK YOU here, Joseph? It is wonderful that you show a level of interest in the welfare of your customer and their vehicle to log into the forums and ask this question. I just want to say congrats on providing service that is "above and beyond" and even outside of the scope of your own business.