Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial charge speed at Supercharger vs age

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
When I got my car new and started charging at a Supercharger with very low state of charge, it would usually start with 120 kW. Now that I have 45k miles on it it never starts at 120. At the most I see 115 and it drops down even within the first minutes. It's not a specific Supercharger. I just did a 4200 mile road trip using 16 different SuC and it was the same on all of them.

Just curious if others see the same thing. I'm not at all concerned about the tiny speed difference, I'm just curious if others see the same on their cars.

Thanks! I'm definitely starting out a little below that. But I also looked at the other thread you linked to. I'm getting more power at higher SoC than of the other D pack owners. Some of it might just be different conditions.

I have a plain S85 purchased in late May last year with 12,500 miles. I charged at Manteca twice recently with 13% and 14% SOC remaining, and both times the initial rate was 117 kW. It quickly dropped to about 100 at 25% SOC. Maybe it is the components of the particular Supercharger location? There were no other Teslas present, so no sharing of electricity.

No complaints, mind you, but just sharing what my car does. I have a D battery.