Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how fast do valets need to drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
top speed in "valet mode" is 70 mph ... seems to me, if you're getting valeted you're probably in a city, and 35 would be plenty fast ... or at least make it user-adjustable ... an added benefit is it would eliminate high-speed chases in the event the car was stolen

I can understand your question. However, if I ever give in to my niece or nephew to drive the car it will be in valet mode. Yes, Tesla could have multiple modes for valet and not so experienced drivers, and probably some other circumstances as well, but judging by how long it's taken for valet mode to appear it's more labor intensive than one might think to add such modes. There's a long list of projects Tesla wants to get done.

I can understand your question. However, if I ever give in to my niece or nephew to drive the car it will be in valet mode.

I accidentally drove around in Valet Mode for about 20 minutes today. I did not have an opportunity to notice the difference.

The issue with using Valet Mode for "less experienced drivers" as opposed to valets, is that they would not have access to the glove box. That's were I keep my registration. In case they get into trouble (as I have at a younger age) they must have access to this. Before someone states otherwise, no, I would not leave that in the seat pocket. I want it locked away. So, options for this mode would be cool to have, though I am just happy having something.

I can't wait to have the autopilot fully implemented so I can recall my car like the Batmobile when some valet driver wants to play around in my Tesla...
NO! Think about this--if you can, remotely, overrule the driver's inputs and force the car's behavior, then a hacker could do the same. Do you really want a hacker to be able to force your car over a cliff?

In some places - not just city - the venue valets all cars to a lot off-site. Many times it's quite a ways down the road.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I took a local trip in valet mode the other day and I thought it was just fine. The performance edge was sawed off, and it's now worse performance-wise than giving your Chevy Malibu to the valet. Perhaps he'll drive it to "look cool" but it's certainly not going to be a performance demon for him to show off.

The issue that I have now is the valet playing with the screens, settings, etc. I'm not worried about the 70 mph aspect, I'm actually more worried about a valet messing up my settings, or my entertainment stations, or whatever. Lock it down except to the front page of the "controls" screen, IMO.

I’m not sure why so many here are so quick to call for such complex Valet mode settings. Not to mention the additional UI complexity would effectively be wasted effort, shouldn’t the fact that it takes nearly 9 seconds to get to 60 pretty much take all the fun out of Valet already? You really want to be able to stick it to them even further by forcing it to be driven under 30mph and potentially cause an unsafe situation?