Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So now it's AWD only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks to me like it is the same as it has been for the last week or so - you can still order a RWD 85 if you select the 85D and then choose the RWD option below it. I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually changes, though.
Walter
Seems likely they'll fully phase out the RWD version eventually. Might be clearing through existing motor stock or something? Hard to say. Certainly they're not pushing the RWD version, given it's actually pretty hard to even find it now, as noted by OP.

Given that AWD offers better performance and efficiency on all road surfaces (dry, wet, ice, snow), it makes sense to eventually go to only AWD. Unlike an ICE car with complicated transfer cases and drive shafts, it's so simple with electric drive they may want to "simplify" things by making everything AWD.

3/4 are AWD, and the X is AWD only. Yea 2WD is dead. With none of the normal drawbacks of a mechanical system... Good riddance. You put brakes on each wheel, don't you?
Well, besides the cost. It likely depends on where you live. Having both an AWD car and the RWD Tesla for comparison, I'd rather save the $5k with the weather the way it is here. As a bonus, fewer things to break long term and more storage.

Given that AWD offers better performance and efficiency on all road surfaces (dry, wet, ice, snow), it makes sense to eventually go to only AWD. Unlike an ICE car with complicated transfer cases and drive shafts, it's so simple with electric drive they may want to "simplify" things by making everything AWD.

I am for this move. Standard AWD would make things easier for Tesla from manufacturing and support perspectives, and you'd end up with happier customers especially if the cost difference were to go down because of the standardization.

Well, besides the cost. It likely depends on where you live. Having both an AWD car and the RWD Tesla for comparison, I'd rather save the $5k with the weather the way it is here. As a bonus, fewer things to break long term and more storage.

It's been discussed that if a motor fails, you can still drive on the working one... So... Bonus! Lol

for 5k over the 2wd 60, you get AWD, more power, and more battery. And super charging... Seems like value to me. Now to go from 70d to 85d... For 10k... Doesn't seem like value to me... But I'm not worried. I'm still wanting my X.

It seems from reading user comments over time, there are lots who bought an S85 because of the range. I'm planning a road trip to the margins of Supercharger territory, and I'm glad I have the extra 25 miles of range over the 70D. I'm not interested in the extra performance, and don't really need AWD, so the S85 works well for me. Also, the extra frunk space comes in handy during every road trip. I hope they keep the RWD option for a while.

Indeed! I don't need AWD, I want the extra storage in the frunk. I'm very happy with my 85 :)

The AWD seems very complex with the additional motor in the front.