Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding Diffuser to Lighted T's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't believe that this hasn't been thought of before now. While working on a plan to diffuse the individual Neopixels on the rear lighted appliqué, Artsci and Danal came up with a solution. They used small clear velcro to create a gap between the Neopixels and the diffuser film thus solving the problem. Soon after, Paul Carter mentioned using some kind of diffuser film to use on the front T to create a softer glow. With a little experimenting I think I've found a way to diffuse the LEDs on the front lighted T. I had a can of Frosted Glass in a spray can lying around. I sprayed quite a few coats on a small piece of saran wrap. I then put it on the side where the LEDs shine. It looks like it should work. Glad Artsci sent some spare 3M adhesives with each lighted T. I'll remove the T soon, spray the sides with the frosted glass and reapply the lighted T. It looks great with the frosted glass. The last picture is with the frosted saran wrap touching the lighted T. I can't see any individual LEDs. So far so good.
IMG_4354.JPG
IMG_4355.JPG
IMG_4357.JPG

Last edited:
I'm surprised that a) you haven't already taken the T off and sprayed it and b) showed up in my driveway to show it off. It isn't dark out yet, though...

I'm fast but not that fast. Gotta have the measure twice cut once mentality about this stuff. Artsci knows what I'm talking bout.

- - - Updated - - -

Give me a day or two and I'll post my progress. Just when I had enough on my plate. I feel like Squiddly Diddly here juggling multiple projects.

This is great. Of course those of us that already have the lighted Ts will have to to this as retrofit. But I'll talk to Oznium tomorrow about building something like this into future production.

I have some diffuser film on order from Inventables so when it comes I may try wrapping the edges of both front and rear T with film using spray adhesive on the film itself. This shouldn't be difficult if the film is cut into strips the width of the T's. That way it may not be necessary to remove the Ts to modify them. If this works I'll post photos and procedure. I won't get to this for at least a week.

Thanks for doing this FLDarren -- we all will benefit.

Well done! How many coats (and drying time between them) did it take to get to that level?

I lost count after about 8. lol. Drying time is only 10-15 minutes. I spent about 3-4 hours spraying coats. After about 2.5 hours I started doing spot shots to build up thickness in a few areas. The arches used the most coats by far. If someone buys either of the lighted Ts, I'd recommend spraying before attaching to car and without the T emblem attached to the lighted T. Mine are soldered so I wasn't about to remove them completely. Have an exacto knife handy to easily separate the corner build up from the blue painters tape. I had to go heavy in a few spots.