Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the suspension the same on all models now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think so. Given what the 70D offers, I wonder why I paid an extra 30k for the P85D. Seems to be by and large the same.

I agree that the value proposition for the 85D and P85D hasn't been particularly compelling since the introduction of the 70D. I also think that many P85D owners may have opted for the 85D knowing what they know today, and could have saved a bundle in the process.

Last edited:
I don't get it. I love the 70D but there's a reason why it's priced so much less than a P85D: 2 seconds and 300hp difference (although that remains to be verified)! People flipped their 4 second P85s and about $40k for P85Ds -- I don't think there was much of a value proposition there. Iit was to have the best, and that did not change with the intro of the 70D. True, the numbers changed overnight on what the 85D had and could do so it's a bit troubling what TM can do to their customers thinking overnight.

Back to the OP, one would think if there continued to be a unique suspension setup in the P85D TM would continue to advertise it on the order/specs page; but they no longer do... Having said that, one would think that if the 85D could always do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, TM would have advertised that, but they didn't. So who knows?

I kind of feel that a lot of this stuff is left for us to verify...

I guess that depends on your perspective. There's no way an 85D could have hung with the supercars the way my P85D did, since most of them have low 3 second 0-60 times.

To put it in BMW terms, the 550i is pretty fast. But the M5 is faster, and costs more.
I guess my post didn't make that clear enough. I was talking about MY perspective, i.e. the fact that I bought a P85D and by now I realize I would be just as happy with an 85D (and an extra $20k in my pocket).

I guess my post didn't make that clear enough. I was talking about MY perspective, i.e. the fact that I bought a P85D and by now I realize I would be just as happy with an 85D (and an extra $20k in my pocket).

I agree. I test drove a P85D this past weekend at a Tesla "Double Diamond" owner's event.

As intoxicating and addicting launching that vehicle would be, I don't think it's worth the extra $20k! I did some launches with my P85+ and it still kicks ass.

Not that I'm thinking of upgrading any time soon, but I also do not see the value proposition over the regular 85D which is still pretty peppy and powerful -- 422 hp -- MORE than my BMW e39 M5. The specs on the 85D are 4.4secs 0-60. My 5-liter, V8 M5 does 4.8 to 5 seconds 0-60 and "only" has 400HP (and gets ~12mpg). So for me, while I love my P85+, if I ever were to upgrade, I'd save the cash and just do the 85D and spend the money on some extras.

And now that they came out with the new blue which I always wanted from the start, if I were to upgrade (which I'm not), I would just sit tight for a couple more years until they come out with a larger battery pack and whatever other features they add between now and then. I think a Model S 100D or 110D (non "P") would be killer with the added range and performance. In the mean time, I'm enjoying the crap out of my P85+.

Not that I'm thinking of upgrading any time soon, but I also do not see the value proposition over the regular 85D which is still pretty peppy and powerful -- 422 hp -- MORE than my BMW e39 M5. The specs on the 85D are 4.4secs 0-60. My 5-liter, V8 M5 does 4.8 to 5 seconds 0-60 and "only" has 400HP (and gets ~12mpg). So for me, while I love my P85+, if I ever were to upgrade, I'd save the cash and just do the 85D and spend the money on some extras.

And now that they came out with the new blue which I always wanted from the start, if I were to upgrade (which I'm not), I would just sit tight for a couple more years until they come out with a larger battery pack and whatever other features they add between now and then. I think a Model S 100D or 110D (non "P") would be killer with the added range and performance. In the mean time, I'm enjoying the crap out of my P85+.
To quote Shakespeare... "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

The P85D was never a decision about value, and that hasn't changed one bit with the 70D or the 85D upgrade. Many people like myself replaced their P85(+) with the P85D because we could experience something very few people in the world get to experience, a supercar with 0 - 60 in an 'insane' 3.1 seconds. Performance wise, the 85D is simply a (slightly slower) P85 with dual motors. I certainly would NOT have traded in my P85 for an 85D.

I rarely do an all out launch in my P85D but when I do it's exhilarating and makes the the car worth every penny.

Anyone have any specific info or evidence on the SUSPENSION? And specifically the differences between models? The website and window stickers used to say that the P+ and then the P85D had a performance suspension, but the P85D website info and sticker no longer include that language. Comments about overall value and acceleration (ie anything other than suspension) are invited in other threads.

Given how much stiffer my P85D is versus my old P85, I'd be shocked if they applied the +/P85D suspension across the line. Too much teeth rattling for the comfort cruising crowd.

Absolutely agree. One way to determine this would be for someone with an 85D to measure the size of their sway bars and compare that to the size of the sway bars in the P85D chassis that is on display at many Tesla stores. The sway bars were upsized when the P+ suspension was introduced.

Anyone have any specific info or evidence on the SUSPENSION? And specifically the differences between models? The website and window stickers used to say that the P+ and then the P85D had a performance suspension, but the P85D website info and sticker no longer include that language. Comments about overall value and acceleration (ie anything other than suspension) are invited in other threads.

Anyone got a log on to the service website to compare part numbers?
At least we could find out if the same parts are fitted, even if software is different (for the air at least)

Where does one find a sway bar? What do they do? :)

elon%20p85d%20sway%20bar_zpsmcyi7gwy.jpg

The sway bar is the black thing pointed to by the crudely drawn red arrow in the center of the above pic. Also known as an anti-roll bar, there is one at each end of the chassis tying the left and right sides of the suspension together. It increases the chassis' resistance to body roll in turns. The P85+ suspension featured much bigger front and rear sway bars vs. all other Model S variants at the time thereby helping to reduce body roll.

Anti-roll bar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia