Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Valet Key

R Sport #1029; S #2117

The Valet Key

When the Roadster was delivered, I received three keys. Two were full-use keys that my wife and I use to drive the car (they have 3 buttons on each for locking, unlocking and opening the trunk). The third, smaller key, I believe, is intended to be a "Valet Key".

I'm not sure if it is a Canadian-only requirement, but each time I start the car, I have to push the middle button on the key fob to disarm the vehicle. The problem is that the Valet Key does not have any buttons, so I can't see that it can be used for any purpose.

So, unless I am missing something here... thanks for the extra mini-key Tesla, but I don't know what they thought it would be good for?

Maybe it can be used as a spare key to unlock the door if you managed to lock your main set inside the car?

For Valet, I think you leave your regular keys, but put the car in Valet mode using the touchscreen.
    Last edited by TEG; 10-09-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Yes, the FOB interlock is a Canadian-only requirement. Apparently it's new in the last few years. First time I heard of it was when my Roadster was delivered. Anyway it's supposed to be a car theft deterrent.

I have no idea what the other key is for. Probaby Tesla just includes it by default and didn't think it through! TEG's suggestion is a good one, but I'd be surprised if I could find the spare key in that situation!

Some people put the spare key in a magnetic box and stick it under the car somewhere in case the main keys get locked inside.

Having a spare that only opens the doors, but doesn't start the car is good because you can rescue your main keys without worrying that someone who managed to find your "hide a key" could make off with the car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TEG View Post
    Some people put the spare key in a magnetic box and stick it under the car somewhere in case the main keys get locked inside.
    Uh... this car is made of aluminum and carbon fibre. Stick it to WHAT???

Yeah, I know... But there is probably some bit of steel you could find there somewhere... Or use double sided sticky foam tape... Or superglue...

R Sport #1029; S #2117
    So does this mean that the third "little" key does operate the vehicle is the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Mover View Post
    So does this mean that the third "little" key does operate the vehicle is the US?
    To start the car in the US once it's been locked, you either need to unlock it with the key fob or type in the PIN on the touch screen. So, you could use the little key if either you never locked the car or you remember your PIN.

Since the 3rd key doesn't have the RF buttons, I gather it can't be used to disable the alarm.
    So if you locked your car with the alarm set, and used the 3rd ("emergency key?") to open the car you would probably have to know the PIN to turn the alarm off.
    I looked at the owner's manual for the 2008 and it didn't really explain what you are supposed to do with the 3rd key.
    Another car I have has a spare 3rd key and it only opens the doors. It won't start the car, or even open the glovebox.
    Perhaps someone else will chime in and explain if there are differences between USA and Canada, and 2008 vs 2010 models.
    Last edited by TEG; 10-10-2010 at 12:02 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bolosky View Post
    To start the car in the US once it's been locked, you either need to unlock it with the key fob or type in the PIN on the touch screen. So, you could use the little key if either you never locked the car or you remember your PIN.
    There is no PIN lock on the Canadian models. The PIN is only used for Valet mode.

Thread Information