Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

electrical buzzing noise when throttle/consumption between 2 and 20kWh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think I've always had this issue with the car. I've noticed recently that I get some sort of electrical buzzing noise and/or feedback when the throttle is applied and my energy consumption is between 2 and 20kWh on my dashboard. It's not very loud, but if there is no music on it is definitely noticeable. Very consistently happens. Has anyone else experienced this?

I don't think I've always had this issue with the car. I've noticed recently that I get some sort of electrical buzzing noise and/or feedback when the throttle is applied and my energy consumption is between 2 and 20kWh on my dashboard. It's not very loud, but if there is no music on it is definitely noticeable. Very consistently happens. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, mine does it too. It's a pretty common phenomonon AFAIK. Mine is a 2013 P85 with ~50,000km FWIW.

Mine is very faint, I'd have to have the HVAC off to really notice it.

Last edited:
Very common and widely discussed in other threads. I am waiting for my SC to call me for a drive unit replacement. It's mainly a "cosmetic" issue, but it does get worse over time and can be quite annoying (I've had back seat passengers complain about it).

my first drive unit was replaced, it was making this noise and had a loose bushing. not sure which they replaced it for.

my current drive unit makes the noise, though it is fairly quiet as I have to try to hear it. I was told it is very common or normal and that some cars are much louder.

doesn't bother me.

I had this exact issue and was at first told it was normal. I continued to press the issue with my SC and they told me they had a fix. They said the issue was bad lubricant and they where going to open the motor to apply more. They scheduled an appointment for me and when I got my car back the service papers noted that when they opened the motor it was too worn and required replacement. So after all this I now have a new Drive Unit and Motor. This is my 3rd one.
Hopefully this is the last.

My car developed this as well (Sept 2013). I went by the Amsterdam SC and they told me the DU had to be replaced. Got an appointment at the end of May in Antwerp.

So yes, this is common and happens. Go to your SC and they'll probably tell you the same.

I'm pretty confident that I'm getting a refurbished drive unit instead of a new one.

I have it too (10~20kW, most noticeable between 20 and 25mph). SC says no immediate issue, but have parts "on order" for me and will call when they arrive. I suspect they are working on a lower cost field retrofit that avoids full cost of replacing the drive unit (just a guess though).

I’ve heard a tech describe it as a distant chainsaw buzz, I had my drive unit replaced after mine developed this sounds (at its worst driving through my neighborhood). Now it’s soooooo quiet!

As a side note, I also got the new Continental 21” tires that were supposedly made for Tesla that are super quiet and I can attest to the difference. The new tires, the lack of buzz and the contactor replacement to get rid of the balloon squeal. Man, I feel like I’m in a different car than I was just a couple months ago.

I’ve heard a tech describe it as a distant chainsaw buzz...

That's about right. I've called it the "angry mosquito" sound.

My first drive unit was replaced because of a completely different sound. At any speed and at any power lever (power or re-gen) other than zero, I got a loud low frequency hum that sounded like you were standing next to a large utility transformer. If I balanced the accelerator so the power meter was at zero it would go silent. It would resume at any level of re-gen or acceleration regardless of speed. Never did hear what caused it, but I assume it was in the inverter.

As a side note, I also got the new Continental 21” tires that were supposedly made for Tesla that are super quiet and I can attest to the difference. The new tires, the lack of buzz and the contactor replacement to get rid of the balloon squeal. Man, I feel like I’m in a different car than I was just a couple months ago.

Just want to clarify, Tesla is not replacing contactors for the balloon squeal. They are replacing contactors in cars where the contactors can go bad and cause total loss of power. The balloon squeal disappearing is a byproduct of the repair, but not the reason for the repair.

Wow, thanks for posting this thread... my P85+ started making this sound a couple of months ago, but it's pretty quiet but can still be heard if you're listening for it (which of course I do!). At least now I know what the problem is and it's a well known symptom I can bring up next time my car is at the SC. I'm assuming from what other people said in this thread that it's no a serious problem where the DU will fail. Going on a trip this weekend, don't need a DU failure.

My service center has also said that the slight buzzing noise is not indicitive of a pending drive unit failure...that this is more of a cosmetic issue...but definitely have them look at it the next time it's convenient, and if over their noise threshold they'll fix it.