Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nose-in or back-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 70D on order, and am setting up installation of the NEMA 14-50 outlet. I am trying to figure out the best location to install it. Normally, I back into the garage because I park on the left side and it's much easier to get out on that side as there are bikes and various other children's stuff along the wall. This would lead me to have it installed in the middle of the back wall of the garage.

However, it might be useful to locate somewhere it could reach when I back-in or park nose-in. This would lead me to put it along the left side of the wall toward the rear -- kind of midway between both positions. Does anyone back into their garage and, if so, how does the outlet location work out?

Thanks!

I think the most important thing to consider is what's most convenient for you, ideally you want the charge port to be in a location that you have to walk past to get to the driver's door. However if you normally back in, you'll probably want to continue to do that regardless, so position the charger appropriately. The other option I've seen photos of is to mount the charger somewhere that can reach both, sometimes even a ceiling mount. then you have the choice.

I have mounted mine half-way on the side of the garage so that the cable can reach either way. For the first few months I was backing into the garage as the large size of the MS made me feel safer that way: camera and mirrors gives a lot better info of how much space I have around the car than the parking sensor and forward visibility. But once I got used to the size, I have switched to front-in parking as that feels more convenient: when going out, I need to wait anyway for the traffic to clear before backing out to the street, but if I want to park in reverse, then I also have to block cars that are driving behind me when I arrive to my house.

Say, for example, that your garage parking spot is temporarily taken by holiday decorations. :eek: Mid-side-wall would also give you the flexibility to plug in while leaving the car out in the driveway. If the plug is on the back wall, the UMC might not reach all the way outside.

Another suggestion is to order an HPWC and install that instead of (or in addition to) a 14-50 outlet.

Even if you only put in a 50 Amp breaker for the HPWC and run it at 40 Amps with a single charger, the HPWC has a longer cord, will run cooler, is a little more robust, and will let you leave the UMC in the car so the UMC is always in the car if you need it unexpectedly someday. At $750, it's a deal these days.

If you put the NEMA 14-50 on the back wall, will you be blocking traffic to and from the house or for the kids to get to their bikes and other stuff? How would left wall mounting affect access?

An overhead mount would solve both problems if it can be clear of the garage door, but for obvious reasons would be better suited to a wall connector (which can be wired to 50A power) than to the UMC.

Also consider access to the trunk. I park nose-in and can open the trunk and get stuff in/out while the garage door is open, but if I backed in, there wouldn't be room to do that since I have to get very close to the wall (actually shelving). Depends on how long your garage is.

I've put in two of them (so far), in the middle. That way, it is useful to either a LEAF (or similar front charging) or a Tesla (or similar rear charging) car. A level 2 cable will never be too short to reach half a car length.

Perhaps consider installing two 14-50 recepticles, one in each position. That way you have choices in the future.

Interesting idea. Of course, I imagine I would have to run two circuits, as daisy-chaining the outlets is probably not up to code.

- - - Updated - - -

Another suggestion is to order an HPWC and install that instead of (or in addition to) a 14-50 outlet.
I've actually been considering this idea. Since it already costs $650 for another mobile charger bundle, getting the HPWC looks pretty attractive, even with a single charger installation.

Are many people getting a 2nd charging cable so they can leave one at home and keep one in the car?

Are many people getting a 2nd charging cable so they can leave one at home and keep one in the car?
Used to be common when the HPWC was over $1000, but now that it's only $750 I think people prefer to get one of those the $100 difference to the UMC is worth it for the higher quality, ability to go to higher currents if available, cool factor, and simplicity. (you also don't need to buy a 14-50 outlet, but those are a lot less than $100 and all the other wiring/breaker requirements are unchanged)

I have mine mounted on the ceiling in the garage, in between the two left bays. I can hang it from a J-hook and still have length for forward or backward in two of the three stalls. On the third stall (where the wife parks) I have a welder outlet for the welder which gives me 9 miles/hr charge if I am in a pinch.

Used to be common when the HPWC was over $1000, but now that it's only $750 I think people prefer to get one of those the $100 difference to the UMC is worth it for the higher quality, ability to go to higher currents if available, cool factor, and simplicity. (you also don't need to buy a 14-50 outlet, but those are a lot less than $100 and all the other wiring/breaker requirements are unchanged)

HPWC has the added advantage of having only one plug connection (handle to car) rather than three for the UMC (handle to car, cable to adapter, adapter to wall). Plug connections are the most likely failure point. And the HPWC cable is a lot heavier than the UMC.

Interesting idea. Of course, I imagine I would have to run two circuits, as daisy-chaining the outlets is probably not up to code.

- - - Updated - - -

I've actually been considering this idea. Since it already costs $650 for another mobile charger bundle, getting the HPWC looks pretty attractive, even with a single charger installation.

Another advantage to HPWC is that the cable is somewhat longer than UMC and you can mount it on the ceiling without possibility of the cable pulling itself out of a 14-50 outlet.

The UMC cord is long. I usually park nose in and my 14-50 outlet is on the right side of the car about even with the back of the car. It is easy to reach the charge port on the left side. If I back in, it is about the same distance to the charge port.

I went with a NEMA 14-50 outlet on the back wall, since it was considerably cheaper than a HPWC, plus my 100-amp electrical panel means I have to be drawing 40 amps or less anyway. My thinking was that if I sell my house at some stage, a 14-50 outlet would be useful for any EV or RV, whereas a HPWC has a limited audience. I normally back into the garage, so I can leave the bulk of the UMC cord coiled up, but the cord will easily reach the charge port in either orientation.