Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire install DC/Nova Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All, I have just ordered a set of Hankook's for my Staggered P85+ wheels and am looking to find a reputable tire install shop that wont damage my wheels. Any recommendations around the Tysons corner area?

Thanks

Tesla will install any tire on an OEM Tesla wheel. I always have them do it because they have the right kind of tire/wheel machine that protects the rims from damage.

Tesla will install any tire on an OEM Tesla wheel. I always have them do it because they have the right kind of tire/wheel machine that protects the rims from damage.

If true, this is new. Previously they wouldn't mount or unmount to non OEM wheels or mount a tire that they did not offer to any wheel. The only thing they would do with non OEM wheels/tires is rotate them.

If true, this is new. Previously they wouldn't mount or unmount to non OEM wheels or mount a tire that they did not offer to any wheel. The only thing they would do with non OEM wheels/tires is rotate them.

Andrew, just to clarify, I did not say they would mount or unmount to non-OEM wheels. I said "Tesla will install any tire on an OEM Tesla wheel." And of course, by any tire I mean one that meets the vehicle specifications in the Owners Manual. :)

Andrew, just to clarify, I did not say they would mount or unmount to non-OEM wheels. I said "Tesla will install any tire on an OEM Tesla wheel." And of course, by any tire I mean one that meets the vehicle specifications in the Owners Manual. :)

Thanks, I don't think they will install the Hankook's. Tesla seem very particular with ensuring you stick with one of their OEM tires, Im sure if you purchase either a Michelin or Conti they will be fine. The Hankook's are 275 at the rear so whilst they fit within the specification of the wheels, they don't match what Tesla ship. I guess I'm looking for an independent shop.

I understood. Previously, tesla would not mount any tire that they don't offer for sale. You don't have to buy it from them.. But it has to be a tire that they previously or currently offer. It sounds like your experience has been different.

I ended up ordering the hankooks from Amazon ($900 shipped) for 255 fronts and 275 rears. I had Mach V in Sterling, VA install with their touchless tire machine and then they realigned due to lowered links that were also installed,. My toe was well out for low setting so they fixed that. All in all their first Tesla and they did a great job.

Carlos confirmed emphatically that the Tyco Rd SC will not install any tire that they don't sell.

So any other suggestions for places in the area to install?

Apparently a fancy tire balancing machine is the GSPS9700. The places with this are located at Hunter GSP9700 Wheel vibration Control System solves wheel vibration and tire pull problems that balancers and aligners can't fix (I note that the Tysons and Rockville SC is on this list -- Costco isn't)

Some other NoVa options are below. Anyone have any experience with them? Or other recommendations?

Arlington Auto Care
3298 Wilson Blvd
ARLINGTON, VA 22201
Phone: 703-247-3060

All the Mr Tires
including: #772
2503 N Franklin Rd
ARLINGTON, VA 22201
Phone: 703-522-1166
Mr Tire #591
5200 Lee Hwy
ARLINGTON, VA 22207
Phone: 703-536-4335

Curry's Auto Service #1198
105 Falls Ave
FALLS CHURCH, VA 22046

Curry's Auto Service #1193
616 S Pickett St
ALEXANDRIA, VA 22304
Phone: 703-621-6900

Curry's Auto Service #1202
1202 Downey Dr
VIENNA, VA 22182
Phone: 703-759-4610

Schmitz Service Center
8526 Leesburg Pike
VIENNA, VA 22182
Phone: 703-827-0611

Virginia Tire and Auto Ashburn
44285 Ice Rink Plz
ASHBURN, VA 20147
Phone: 703-858-5100

I haven't taken the Tesla to Arlington Auto Care yet for anything but a flat tire repair, but my wife and I serviced our old cars there for a long time and were generally quite happy with them, though I can't remember if we ever bought new tires from them.

We've had mixed experiences at best with Mr. Tire, but I think they were fine for tire installation on our old cars.

Reviving this thread...hoping to get some help.

Any updates/recommendations on where to get Tires installed in the NoVa area? Are the places mentioned previously still recommended?

Also, I'm planning to get the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires to replace the original ContiSilents that came with my 2016 Model X. Anyone have any experience with these tires or know if Tesla will install these tires since they aren't the OEM ones Tesla gives with their vehicles?

Quick sum of basics on tires. Performance are best for summer use, winter for cold weather, “all seasons” are in the middle. Tread design is not the only factor. Performance tires are harder and react best in heat; winter tires are softer and react best in the cold. Hence, performance have better traction in summer, less so in winter and winter tires provide better traction in the cold but wear faster and provide less traction in heat.
I have mounted sets of performance and winter tires. I do a seasonal swap each year around November and April. We don’t get much snow in northern Virginia but we do get COLD/HOT temperatures. (Tesla has been swapping them for me for a fee, they stopped gratis swaps about 2 years ago.)

• Informative
Reactions: jthompson
Quick sum of basics on tires. Performance are best for summer use, winter for cold weather, “all seasons” are in the middle. Tread design is not the only factor. Performance tires are harder and react best in heat; winter tires are softer and react best in the cold. Hence, performance have better traction in summer, less so in winter and winter tires provide better traction in the cold but wear faster and provide less traction in heat.
I have mounted sets of performance and winter tires. I do a seasonal swap each year around November and April. We don’t get much snow in northern Virginia but we do get COLD/HOT temperatures. (Tesla has been swapping them for me for a fee, they stopped gratis swaps about 2 years ago.)
M3P Kid, I totaly agree with what Redmiata98 says. I have two set of rims and swap out in spring and fall. I do it my self in about 30 minutes.

I will say, and maybe it is my bad luck but I get a lot of flat tires with the Performance tires. Nails and screws go right through them, potholes damage sidewalls. I got the performance tires with the car. I would not go out of my way to buy them given the hassles I have had to go through.

Reactions: jthompson