Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Apps and/or RFID Badges in Scandinavia ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'll be going on Holiday to Norway and Sweden in a couple of weeks. At one point we'll be going so far north (Nordkapp) that we go out of range of the north-most SuperCharger at Setermoen.
From that point (region of Alta and above) we become dependant on regular (non Tesla) chargers. Besides this it's always a good idea to have a plan B and be able to charge "everywhere".

From the technical side i'm covered. I have adapters and mobile chargers coming out of my ears so i can plug in to just about anything i find. I have taken the IT Network in Norway into account for example. I'm well prepared.

My question is not technical.

For reference, in The Netherlands one needs a RFID badge to activate non-Tesla chargers. Those chargers belong to many of the local players which all have their own badges. The EV-charging market is very fragmented.
Thankfully those companies work together so you can use the badge from company A on chargers from almost all other companies/players. This prevents needing to have as many badges as there are power-companies offering EV changing-services. All larger players are interconnected. Badge A unlocks a charger of company B and the billing is done by company B.

In Germany it's roughly the same story. Instead of using RFID badges they mostly use Smartphone Apps. But the principle is the same.

I need to arrange one or maybe more than one RFID badges (or Apps) for both Scandinavian countries. As my Norwegian and Swedish is very rusty... I found no usable information on Swedish and Norwegian EV forums (the info will surely be there but I don't understand it despite google translate ;-)

In The Netherlands, many Hotels have charging-posts on their parking-lots BUT they do NOT belong to those hotels and asking the reception for a badge is useless. One needs an RFID badge from one of the EV charging companies as the chargers belong to them.
If it works the same way in Skandinavia, i still need Apps and/or badges to activate chargers at hotels (i found several Hotels which have chargers and i can email them directly but i'd like more generic info, not only about hotels).

I've seen Bjorn Nyland's Nordkapp travel video on Youtube but it hardly reveals what he uses to active chargers (when not looking for a blue or red plug).

My question is the following: How does it work in Norway and Sweden?
If i need "per charging-company badges or apps" what are the best ones (with the best coverage) ?

Hi, I'm not sure how much if not any of this all works. In a little over a week, I will be traveling to Oslo to begin a road trip up to Nordkapp and back, hugging the coast on the way up, and traveling the more direct route, via Sweden and their Balti coast on the way back.

I will have the option of borrowing my brother-in-law's gas-guzzling Audi A5 or his Tesla P85D. I would love to figure out how to do the trip using the Tesla because it would save me hundreds if not one thousand US dollars on gas, but I'm a bit daunted by the logistical considerations when using a Tesla. As is such, I was wondering how you fared north of the last supercharger station in Setermoen? As well, I was wondering if you have any insight/advice that might help me determine the feasibility of my plan in a Tesla.

For a point of reference, here is a link to my itinerary, which I've also provided below
Drive Oslo --> Sandefjord
Stay Sandefjord
Drive Sandefjord --> Geilo -->Eidfjord --> Ulvik
Drive Ulvik --> Trolltunga -->Øystese --> Bergen
Bergen
Drive Bergen --> Evanger--> Gundvagen -->Ferry to Undredal --> Flåm
Drive Flåm-->Aurland, Lærdalsøyri [Snovegen road]--> Borgund Stave Church--> --> Solvorn
Drive Solvorn, Lustrabui (bakery) --> Jotunheimen Park--> Lom [Sognefjellet road] --> Geiranger
Drive Geiranger--> (via fjord ferry 1h37m) Hellesylt--> Maloy, Lighthouse, Refviksanden
Drive Maloy --> Valldalen --> (Trollstigen Route) Åndalsnes--> Molde: Moldejazz festival
Drive Molde--> Trondheim (4h41m) --> Sandnessjoen
Hurtigruten Ferry from Sandnessjoen to Svolvaer (Lofoten) drive Svolvaer --> Nusfjord (Lofoten)
Drive Nusfjord --> å --> Nyksund
Hike Queen's Route (coastal route to Stø) and drive Nyksund --> Andenes
Drive Andenes --> Sommaroy --> Tromso
Drive Tromso --> Alta --> kamøyvær
Hike to Nordkapp drive kamøyvær --> Karasjok --> Kautokeino
Drive Kautokeino --> Lulea --> Umea
Drive Umea --> Stockholm and see stockholm
Stockholm
Drive Stockholm --> Oslo