Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with VOLTEC L2 Inconsistent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Level 2 charger I used with my Volt for 2.5 years with no issue. It is on a 20A circuit and puts out 15A.

When charging my Tesla with this charger, the results are inconsistent. 2 out of 3 attempts fail within 1 to 5 minutes...the ring goes red and then back to blue.

Occasionally I can get a long charge out of it, so I know it *can* work.

A service guy who lives nearby stopped by on his way home this evening. They pulled the logs and see a recurring "proximity rationality" (this is the programming name for the error code) error, with no real explanation of what would cause this.

Just a long shot....anyone ever hear of such a problem?

My company has one of those Voltec units for our fleet Chevy Volt and I used it for almost a year before we put in our high power public chargers. Aside from the painfully slow 15 amp charge, it worked flawlessly. I'm wondering of you have a charge port or J1772 adapter problem. Does it still work with the Volt?

The proximity pin is one of the pins in the J1772 standard. It is connected inside the handle through a resistor to ground. The car uses that signal to know that the plug is connected. Pushing the button on the plug grounds the signal through a second resistor, which signals to the car that is should stop drawing current in preparation to the plug being pulled. Your error message suggests that the proximity pin may not be making good contact or is malfunctioning in some other way. I'd try wiggling the handle to see if the light changes in response. You might also try someone else's adapter to see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
The proximity pin is one of the pins in the J1772 standard. It is connected inside the handle through a resistor to ground. The car uses that signal to know that the plug is connected. Pushing the button on the plug grounds the signal through a second resistor, which signals to the car that is should stop drawing current in preparation to the plug being pulled. Your error message suggests that the proximity pin may not be making good contact or is malfunctioning in some other way. I'd try wiggling the handle to see if the light changes in response. You might also try someone else's adapter to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the input guys....yes it still works with the Volt. Given davewill's comments, I highly suspect the adapter. I don't know anyone else with a Tesla, but I did order the 10-30 adapter for the UMC in the meantime. I guess it couldn't hurt to squirt some electronics solvent in there in case there's some schmutz.

In the next few months I will be putting in a different charging setup when I put solar on, so I just need to be able to do some L2 charging at home on occasion.