Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Planner (6.2) does NOT reroute to SpC if battery runs out before destination

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
Last week I took a trip to Lake Tahoe for one last skiing hurrah for what has been an abysmal season (snow- and weather-wise).
Anyway, I've done this trip several times in my P85D over the last few months and usually only need to stop once at the Roseville supercharger (SpC) on the way up, and once on the way back.

However, this time I had firmware 6.2 and more importantly, was carrying 3 other passengers with 5 skis/snowboards (yes I was the brat who brought one of each, just in case there was enough fresh powder to warrant busting out the 'board).

Given the extra weight but especially extra drag, consumption was much higher than usual (about 30% higher), so I decided to stop at the Vacaville SpC "just in case". Well, as I left Vacaville, Trip Planner estimated that I would be NOT able to make it to my destination (Squaw Valley) and route me to the Truckee SpC, estimating that I would arrive there with 1% battery left:

IMG_7777.jpg

Unfortunately, a few minutes later, the 1% estimate dropped to -7%:

IMG_7780.jpg

And still a little while later, it dropped even further to -14%:

IMG_7781.jpg

I'm really surprised that Trip Planner did NOT reroute me to the Roseville SpC, or even the Rocklin SpC, since they are both right off the same freeway (I-80).

And the same thing happened on the way back. After stopping at the Truckee SpC, I tried to make it to the Vacaville SpC, which Trip Planner estimated I would be able to reach with 6% left:

IMG_7864.jpg

However, about 10 minutes later the estimate dropped to -3% and it still didn't reroute me to Roseville or Rocklin:

IMG_7866.jpg

Now, I know that the extra consumption was due to unusual factors (skis & boards on the roof) which have been rarely experienced in the past, so I expected that the energy estimates would be off.

I'm just really bummed that Trip Planner doesn't automatically reroute to a closer SpC as it knows I can't make it to the original destination (or previous SpC it wanted me to charge at).

Oh and for those interested, this is what the roof (and a very dirty car) looked like at the slopes:

IMG_7807.jpg

IMG_7856.jpg

I was at Northstar today (not skiing) with 14% battery remaining. I set my home as the destination fully expecting the NAV to immediately route me to the nearby Truckee supercharger. Nope. It took me straight home, and a couple of seconds I got a red warning saying I'd have negative % battery left at my destination. Why didn't it send me to Truckee first? Yes, I had the preference enabled in the NAV app settings for the new routing feature.

I think the software locks on a route and is unable to re-route regardless of circumstances. See my earlier post below, where TripPlanner takes me past my home to get to the supercharger it thought I should visit on a return trip from Minneapolis.

I've got a nice one today. Returning from Minneapolis, the car decided I need to go through supercharger. Instead of plotting the route to Rochester directly (~90 mi) it detoured through Albert Lea (~130 miles total trip). When I took the correct road it stubbornly tried to re-route to Albert Lea. When there were no options left but to go to Rochester, it plotted a route through my destination point to Albert Lea and warned me I will not be able to make it without charging.

Also, my range remains below what other people are reporting on P85D - range on, tires at 50 psi. I cannot get below 350 Wh/mi at 74 mph...

Here are the pics
attachment.php?attachmentid=77701&d=1428794566.jpg
attachment.php?attachmentid=77702&d=1428794566.jpg
attachment.php?attachmentid=77703&d=1428794567.jpg

Also, my range remains below what other people are reporting on P85D - range on, tires at 50 psi. I cannot get below 350 Wh/mi at 74 mph...

lol what makes you think it's possible to get below 350Wh/mi at 74mph? If you can get as low as 350 that's awesome. 370-390 is more like average for me on my P85 at that speed. If I want below 350 I've gotta drive slower than 60mph or tailgate an 18wheeler pretty close.

I agree it should automatically reroute in this condition.

I wonder, what if you cancel the navigation and then start it again... that would force a recalc with the new variables and might then provide the correct route....? I'm not close enough to superchargers to test.

-m

Funny. I just did a pretty long road trip and I found the trip planner to be annoying to say the least. My experience was more the opposite. It always added charging stops that I didn't want. Often it would want me to go back to the Supercharger I just left! But once it has set it's route, it would not change or update even when the prediction said I wouldn't be able to make it. It tells you "charging is needed to reach your destination" yet it wouldn't make any effort to find a charger on the way. You have to manually cancel the navigation and start it again. But it still doesn't know any public chargers. I'm really annoyed how stubborn Tesla is in not including any public charging stations. They leave those out but include their 'destination chargers' which are useless on trips as on most of them you can only use them if you are a guest at that hotel. I'm not going to pay a hotel room just to charge.

I wonder, what if you cancel the navigation and then start it again... that would force a recalc with the new variables and might then provide the correct route....?

Yes of course it does upon a cancel/reset nav by adding a supercharger stop that isn't below 0% left at arrival, but the issue at hand is that it does NOT dynamically do that if external conditions make it such that your originally-safe route happens to drop you below 0% at arrival.

Trip planner in my experience has been useless. Elon's "end of range anxiety" BS was just for marketing purposes IMO. I'll rely on common sense and occasional EVTripplanner.com planning like I did before. In general, the Tesla NAV system has been very unreliable and worthless to me and has had numerous routing issues. Waze, on the other hand, has been amazing for me. I stick to that now.