Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Left in Trunk, didn't know for days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I couldn't find my 2nd key fob, but assumed it was in my house for about 3 days. I finally realized it was in my trunk. So does that mean my car could have been opened (push door handle to open), and driven away by anyone?

My other cars with key fobs would never lock with key inside...seems this is a fairly easy software fix??

If they key was within the proximity of the car, it never did lock. It simply retracted the handles. If it was locked, you would not be able to deploy the handles by push
A good way to tell if the car is in fact locked from the outside (if you have folding mirrors), the mirrors fold when the car locks. They do not fold if a key is within the cars proximity sensors.

Try an experiment and put the fob back in the trunk, put your other fob out of range, and go back to the car and see if you can open the door (no fob in your pocket but one in the trunk). That will tell you - and us if you share the answer!

The trunk is supposedly a "Dead Zone" like the cubby pocket under the touchscreen. I have had the service center lock my key fob in the trunk for me when they would deliver my car when no one was home as well as the airport service. My car stayed locked with the key fob in the trunk. I unlocked it with my app when I returned from my trip.

The trunk is supposedly a "Dead Zone" like the cubby pocket under the touchscreen. I have had the service center lock my key fob in the trunk for me when they would deliver my car when no one was home as well as the airport service. My car stayed locked with the key fob in the trunk. I unlocked it with my app when I returned from my trip.

Nice to know...will try experimenting this evening

They didn't just put the fob in the trunk and then locked the car some other way (remotely)? Because I'm guessing that would have worked too.

If the car can detect the key fob it will not lock. You can check this w/ the phone app. I don't know of any specific dead zones.

As for a way to find keys, I've been idly following the development of this product:
Find what matters: Find your lost keys, wallet, or bag!

I assume it uses bluetooth. I have no connection with the company nor have I ever used it.

My wife has that product. It works very well (I have no connection with the company).

My wife has that product. It works very well (I have no connection with the company).

I have had the Tile system in use for about 6 months--works pretty well. Not going to find a key far away as the overall concept assumes a large user base wandering around who have their iPhone set to search/report on Tiles back to the server. More useful around the house.

As mentioned there's a known dead zone in the trunk. Roadside assistance told me where when I had them collect the car(flat tire). Left (driver side for lhd) side of trunk in recessed area is best. Try it for yourselves, works a treat. Tried telling my SC this for when car was dropped off, though they put fib in mailbox outside of car.

I had forgotten that my son had gotten into the car while I was still inside a building...I said how did you get in and he said I just pushed the handle and it popped out. So the key that was I that small space in the trunk on the charging side apparently is not a dead zone! A d my car was not locked for those days when I didn't realize the key wAs in trunk. I think this is. Design flaw but easily fixed with a notice I. The s teen that multiple keys are In Proximity

I have a Tile connected to my key fob. Have yet to have to use it, but it's only a matter of time before I "misplace" my keys and need to find them, I expect the Tile will come in handy.

So far I have not left a Tesla fob in the trunk and had the car lock itself. I have left it in e car in the front seat area and the car did not lock itself.