Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D shock issue (air suspension)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
For the last couple of weeks, I've been in and out of my local service center to figure out why there's a knocking sound coming from the rear-right of my P85D when going over rough roads (potholes, Botts' dots, etc).

I initially thought the sound was due to an interior panel rattle, so the SC adjusted them for me. But the sound was still present, so the SC checked elsewhere and found that it was coming from the shock.
After replacing the shock, they still found that rough roads were causing a knocking sound, so they had an engineer from headquarters come out to check everything.

Well, it turns out that after several thousand miles (I'm approaching 10,000 myself) the P85D air suspension's shock assembly has an issue that causes such knocking sounds when driving over rough terrain.
Apparently it's a widespread issue that will require a new shock to be design and built to address the problem. I'm told that it's safe to drive on it, but it will take a few weeks to get the new part.

Has anyone else experienced this with their P85D?

Thanks for posting this Marc. I believe I am experiencing the same issue. I've had it looked at and thought it was something inside a panel but now think it is coming from the suspension. Same symptoms you describe - coming from the right rear. It is annoying me to the point of interfering with the enjoyment of the car.

Mine is at its worst at low speed and over minor road imperfections (like expansion joints in the concrete road surface).

Subscribed to this thread.

Mike

Thank you. You saved me so much time. Got this exact same issue since 7000 km (4000 miles).

Thanks for posting this Marc. I believe I am experiencing the same issue. I've had it looked at and thought it was something inside a panel but now think it is coming from the suspension. Same symptoms you describe - coming from the right rear. It is annoying me to the point of interfering with the enjoyment of the car.

Mine is at its worst at low speed and over minor road imperfections (like expansion joints in the concrete road surface).

Subscribed to this thread.

Mike

Glad to help you guys! I'll keep you guys posted on resolution as it develops.

Does this apply to the S85 air suspension shocks? Our roads are really, really rough; I'll watch out for it...

I was told the issue is specific to the P85D's air suspension.

I have a brand new 85D which makes a rattling sound from the left rear over tar strips, dots, etc. primarily at very low speed. SC thought it was the rear seat belt, but it isn't. They removed all the panels and the sound comes from the middle of the inside wheel well inside the car but there is nothing there to rattle. I think it is inside the wheel well, out side of the car interior, but they can't isolate it. It is very annoying in an otherwise quiet car. I wonder if I should mention this thread? I have asked them to look into the shock tower, but they haven't paid any attention to me so far. They have had the car for 2 days with no progress on identifying the source of the noise.

Last edited:
Wait, I thought the huge vibration was the lane departure warning, but seeing this, it looks like I might have this issue as well.

Will test and take it to SC if I get a chance.

The issue doesn't actually create any vibration, just a knocking sound when going over Botts' dots or potholes (it's easier to hear when there are several holes/bumps in a short distance).

... why there's a knocking sound coming from the rear-right of my P85D when going over rough roads (potholes, Botts' dots, etc). I initially thought the sound was due to an interior panel rattle ... Has anyone else experienced this with their P85D?
YES! Except I've had it for a lot longer... probably since about 500 mi or so when I started to get used to the car. It takes a decent size knock for me, and like you, thought it was a panel, seatbelt (against the side of the car), or the trunk cover ... and have kinda written it off. I'll be sure to pay more attention next time it happens. I've also had it happen on at least two Launches (relatively smooth pavement, an onramp)... when I think "oh crap, what did I run over", then realize there was nothing in the road and no apparent damage.

Did they say that they will proactively fix it? I just had mine in (NG seat install, or at least 3/4 of them) and they had a wiring harness move and some kind of screw inspection but said nothing about shocks...?

Did they say that they will proactively fix it? I just had mine in (NG seat install, or at least 3/4 of them) and they had a wiring harness move and some kind of screw inspection but said nothing about shocks...?

I'm not sure if they will proactively fix ALL P85Ds (can you say "recall"?) but I was told I'd be getting replacement shocks with the new design when they're available in a couple/few weeks.

Interesting you had a wiring harness move, they told me the same thing (I had one of the first P85Ds produced) but upon inspection they found that it was already done at the factory.

As for NG seats, I've asked a question directed to you in the appropriate NG seats thread to keep this one focused on the shocks.

Quick update on this: I spoke to the SC last week and the fix is still in development. The shocks are outsourced to Bilstein, so Tesla is waiting on them for the new product.

And, I was told this affects all P85D and 85D with air suspension. Non-air suspensions have a different set of shocks.

Thanks everyone! You just sold me on COILS!

Please don't take offense, but if you're serious, I think this is a pretty silly reason to go with coils.

Tesla discovered an issue that is currently impacting a few Ds with air suspension, and is fixing it. The problem may apply to all Ds, but so far a relatively few number of people have experienced the issue, at least as far as we can tell.

In my opinion, this should not be a factor in your decision.