Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cell-level fuse bondwire material?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As you may know, Tesla uses wirebonding to connect each cell to the rest of the pack, and that these bondwires also act as fuses to remove the cell from the pack if there is a current surge involving that cell. Does anyone know what material they use for these wires? It is silver?

As you may know, Tesla uses wirebonding to connect each cell to the rest of the pack, and that these bondwires also act as fuses to remove the cell from the pack if there is a current surge involving that cell. Does anyone know what material they use for these wires? It is silver?

No idea of the material, but I have a few used bondwires (from a Tesla Roadster ESS) if you like a few.

No idea of the material, but I have a few used bondwires (from a Tesla Roadster ESS) if you like a few.

I would absolutely be interested.

The reason I ask is that I'm making a battery pack for an electric bike, and I want to incorporate cell-level fusing into my pack. Most people building packs don't attempt to have cell-level fusing, so it's hard to find resources on the topic.

I did find a paper that kind of covers the transient-heating math that's behind the fuse design. http://www.jpier.org/PIERM/pierm31/15.13051311.pdf

That would be #29 AWG with diameter of 0.011", with a fusing current greater than 7 but less than 10 amps.

That is quite puzzling with respect to the whiz kid jason's data, that the bond wires will pass 25 amps but fuse at 26--How can that be?

The fusing current of 29 gage copper is greater than 10 but less than 14, but even that doesn't seem like it would have enough margin if the load were drawing 3 to 5 times the C rating of the cells. The 25 amps seems like the right amount of margin for the cells.

Is there another material that can carry 25 amps (and fuse at 26) in the #29 gage diameter?

That would be #29 AWG with diameter of 0.011", with a fusing current greater than 7 but less than 10 amps.

That is quite puzzling with respect to the whiz kid jason's data, that the bond wires will pass 25 amps but fuse at 26--How can that be?

The fusing current of 29 gage copper is greater than 10 but less than 14, but even that doesn't seem like it would have enough margin if the load were drawing 3 to 5 times the C rating of the cells. The 25 amps seems like the right amount of margin for the cells.

Is there another material that can carry 25 amps (and fuse at 26) in the #29 gage diameter?

I don't think they are #awg anything, they are just custom solid aluminum wire, made especially for fuse bonding applications.
Second, Aluminum, IIRC, is the highest fusing current material available per diameter due to high conductivity and thermal conductivity.
Third, the fusing current is higher then you quoted, because they are only ~8mm long
Finally, I don't know if it's 25A, but certainty more then 10A. If I get the time, I will test it.

http://heraeus-contactmaterials.com/media/webmedia_local/media/downloads/documentsbw/brochure/HERAEUS_BondingWire_Brochure_2012.pdf
Edit: looks like copper and gold are higher... but based on my estimation , 15-20 A for these alum wires.

Last edited:
I have measured the wire diameter with a micrometre, they are about 300 microns in diameter. Also, tested Fuse current, they are blown up at 21-22 Amps. The wire is made from pure aluminium, contains more then %99,6-%99.999 Aluminium. (85kWh Tesla pack)