Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealer Prep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Typically, do owners allow the dealer to do the initial wash / detail on the car upon delivery?

Usually, on other brands, I've asked the dealer to simply peel off the transport film and perform a light wash only--because I've had bad experiences with swirls etc embedded by a poor dealer wash / detail.

Thoughts / personal experiences?

I'm on the same page. When going in for service, I always make a very clear point to NOT wash my car! I even have signs in the windows. I didn't think about it with delivery from the factory to my house and it was a mess. But I had a detail scheduled for the next day anyway.

I don't care. Then again, I take my car through car washes without abandon, my kids climb into the hatch to get in the rear seats by themselves, and I've hauled all sorts of random stuff, including colonies of bees in the car. I live down a gravel road, so no need for me to worry about it since I know it's going to get chipped anyway. Personal preference.

If you are particular about car care don't let Tesla wash the car, not at delivery nor at service. In my experience they don't do this as well as they should: lots of swirls. I've heard the same from many places in the US. Unfortunately I think they do a wash and wax/prep (spray wax likely, thin) before it leaves the factory so there may be swirls no matter what you do.

Go in to the SC and get to know the detailer. I used to never let them clean my car before, but once our SC hired a dedicated detailer on staff and I got to know him, I trust my car with him and have never been let down. My car is black, so every imperfection will show. He uses top quality stuff and knows what he's doing. Hopefully other SC's have similar staffing arrangements.

Go in to the SC and get to know the detailer. I used to never let them clean my car before, but once our SC hired a dedicated detailer on staff and I got to know him, I trust my car with him and have never been let down. My car is black, so every imperfection will show. He uses top quality stuff and knows what he's doing. Hopefully other SC's have similar staffing arrangements.

Great idea.

At the same time, I'll make sure my Owner Advisor notes to *not* drill or install a front plate on the car.

OMG! I am simply not psychologically equipped for such abandon! :eek:

I don't care. Then again, I take my car through car washes without abandon, my kids climb into the hatch to get in the rear seats by themselves, and I've hauled all sorts of random stuff, including colonies of bees in the car. I live down a gravel road, so no need for me to worry about it since I know it's going to get chipped anyway. Personal preference.

i couldn't handle that either.

I can appreciate that. 15 years ago, I probably would have been the same way. Since then my wife and I have been blessed with 4 boys. There's no way to protect everything from 4 boys... it's impossible. My favorite seat in the living room is a broken spot on my couch, courtesy of the boys; I don't dare replace it, because they'll break something else.

"Dr. Dad: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Boys" would be the title of my life's movie.

Once you learn to let go, there's a great freedom you feel from the bonds of anxiety. :)

I asked for the SC to not wash/detail my car upon delivery. Said washing was a requirement and nothing they could do. If I didn't want it detailed, I had to sign a waiver (Which I received ahead of time) stating they would not be liable for any imperfections. I told them I'd sign it in person once I reviewed the car.

Arrived for delivery, and it was washed and definitely buffed. They actually did a good job, but I knew they did it as I could smell the polish (And find it in cracks.)

First world problems, but the sales/delivery process definitely could have gone smoother. Ultimately, no problems and all worked out, but the little details are what I was disappointed in.