Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster founder's series #27

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

I'm considering buying a founder's series Roadster.
Does anyone know if the early #'s are known to be more or less reliable than one of the 'normal' production versions?

I just keep remembering the early horror stories about reliability.

Is it dark blue by any chance?

I think the early ones were built more by hand, with some "learn as you go" type redesigns, so the later cars were more consistent.
You could get lucky and get one with no problems, but you take a bigger risk with the very early cars.

I think the seller seems legit. He seems to have sold many exotics before, usually Porsche.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ESLA[ROADSTER[]][]]&listingId=397620833&Log=0

41828836934.397620833.IM1.04.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

41828836937.397620833.IM1.07.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

I don't see much "wear and tear" in the photos but photos often don't show stuff that is easily visible in person. If the car only has 27.5K miles on it would be odd to have it show a lot of signs of use.
The price of $49.5K for a 1.5 with that mileage seems about $10K under market to me. Maybe it's a bargain, maybe it's a fair price, impossible to know for sure without seeing and driving the car and verifying the maintenance and repair history. Caveat emptor...

It looks virtually like my #255. It appears someone will get a bargain. It has been driven so there is likely some paint wear. It is hard to keep a car perfect if you drive it. I would not be worried about issues as it is very likely any issues were found in 25,000 miles and have been addressed.

If you're looking to drive a Roadster in a more relaxed fashion (rather than babying it a little too much...), this might be a great way to do that at a good price. If I didn't have too many cars already, it would be tempting. ;)

Hi everyone!

I'm considering buying a founder's series Roadster.
Does anyone know if the early #'s are known to be more or less reliable than one of the 'normal' production versions?

I just keep remembering the early horror stories about reliability.

FWIW, I've not had much to worry about in 3+ years with a Founders' Series car. One switchpack replaced (this is not the battery pack), which could have been for any 1.5.

That said, the price is a little worrying, even if the outside is chewed up a bit. How many ideal miles on a full standard charge or range charge? CARFAX look ok?:confused:

If so, you could be in for a good bargain - no need to baby it initially, and can go for the 3.0 and repaint later if you want...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and figure in that you are likely going without any kind of warranty.

Unless this is spoken for, is there anyone in the area that would be willing to look at this car and report back? I'm very seriously considering it. With the money saved I could easily afford a repaint to take car of any paint damage, and that way I could have the color I really want. And not having to worry about the paint makes it a lot easier to have shipped 3000 miles.

But I'm concerned about wear and tear other than the paint. It seems like a really low price even with aesthetic damage. Besides the aforementioned learning curve, was there really any difference between the Founders Series and later 1.5 models?