Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should SCs be located near stores?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was confused at first because I thought you were talking about how close Service Centers were to Tesla stores, then the term ICEing made it clear. I've ALWAYS been against any sort of EV charging being placed in premium parking spots. We're not (generally) handicapped and don't need to be front and center. It creates resentments IMNSHO. However, there are reasons why it gets done so often:

1. The electric service is often close to the building, so that's the cheapest place to put them.
2. The site owner WANTS the publicity of having them up front.
3. They have to put in SOME handicapped charging spaces, so they just put them all up front.

I though that Tesla was doing this less than other public charging was, though.

ICE'ing isn't always the problem for SC's near stores. It's Tesla owners shopping for hours while hogging a spot. The electricity at a supercharger should be free, but money should be charged starting 10 minutes after charging completes.

The further away it is, the less likely ICEing occurs because those who ICE do so because they don't want to walk. (These are generally the same people who had to be fined to stop parking in handicapped spaces, or who get out of the traffic lane and zip ahead of cars using the on ramp.) The reasons some end up close to the store appear to typically be either "the city made me do it" or cost.