Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carpool sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, looking at a used model S. Noticed it has a carpool sticker. Do these expire and have to be renewed every year? Does it allow one person to go in the carpool lane anytime?
If it needs to be renewed, what are the yearly fees? I heard they stopped allowing the stickers in 2015. Not sure if this is true or not.

Probably should be over in the California regional thread ... you're asking a worldwide audience :). I'll ask a moderator to move.

You need the carpool paperwork & it should match your license plate. It's an $8 one-time fee (unless it's gone up recently). The program has been extended for the white stickers (BEV) so you're good.

The stickers are associated with the license plate. If you kept the same plate, then you are good and no changes are needed. If you get new plates, then to this correctly, you should apply for new stickers. OTOH, you are driving a vehicle that obviously is entitled to have these. I highly doubt that any CHP would check to see if the serial number on the sticker matches the plates.

There is a certificate that comes with the decals. The certificate lists the VIN, plate number, and name & address of owner. All should match the vehicle registration. Send form REG 1000 to CA DMV to correct any changes. The $8 fee is not required if no decals are sent. I just transferred a custom plate to my EV and filed this form so they will send me a new certificate. If you have bumper damage and need to replace decals, you can request new ones with this form too.

Yes it allows carpool use anytime. In addition, apply for an electric vehicle transponder and you can use toll roads for free. When I get on the freeway I get in the carpool lane as fast as possible

For the toll roads, you can setup an electric vehicle account. When we got our model S, I switched our account to an electric vehicle and dropped the other non-electric cars from the account. This allows toll free use of the toll roads for that agency. By having a transponder with the switch you can use all toll roads including other agencies for free. I have been lazy and have not gotten a new transponder with the switch to replace my old one.

For the toll roads, you can setup an electric vehicle account. When we got our model S, I switched our account to an electric vehicle and dropped the other non-electric cars from the account. This allows toll free use of the toll roads for that agency. By having a transponder with the switch you can use all toll roads including other agencies for free. I have been lazy and have not gotten a new transponder with the switch to replace my old one.

According to thetollroads.com, this is not the case:

General Questions

• Can vehicles with three or more passengers ride for free on the 73, 133, 241 and 261 Toll Roads?
    All vehicles on The Toll Roads must pay a toll. However, some toll agencies in Southern California offer discounted rates or free rides to carpooling and/or high occupancy vehicles. For more information please visit 91 Express Lanes (www.91expresslanes.com), SR 125 South Bay Expressway (www.southbayexpressway.com), I-15 Express Lanes ( http://fastrak.511sd.com), LA Metro Express Lanes (www.metroexpresslanes.net), or Bay Area FasTrak (www.bayareafastrak.org). It is your responsibility to know the toll rates and rules of each toll facility you use.
  • Can hybrid or electric vehicles travel The Toll Roads for free or at a discount?
    Hybrid and electric vehicles are subject to standard toll rates on The Toll Roads.

Special Access accounts are available for customers who always drive with three or more people in their vehicle (3+ Carpool Lane), drive a motorcycle, a zero emission vehicle, or have a disabled person or disabled veteran license plate issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles. Special Access customers are eligible to ride for free at all times except Monday through Friday, eastbound, between 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. At this time, when traveling through the 3+ Carpool Lane, a 50% discount is given on all trips made on the 91 Express Lanes.

91 freeway express lanes are free