Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S for commuters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive about 80 miles a day round trip and would dearly love to spend that time in a Tesla! Lol

BUT, is this car a good choice given the number of miles I would put on it?

Or is it more like an exotic car that is driven on special occasions?

I have driven a Tesla and was very impressed, but I know the maintaining of a car is another issue.

Thanks for any advice!

34,000 miles since November 2013.

Most were commute (between 75-102 miles daily, depending on traffic and route chosen) I used HOV lanes solo to get there and back faster with car.

It's great and comfy for that.

I drive about 80 miles a day round trip and would dearly love to spend that time in a Tesla! Lol

I have driven a Tesla and was very impressed, but I know the maintaining of a car is another issue.

Thanks for any advice!

You will probably be hard pressed to find a car that is more suited for an average distance commute each day. As you are staying within the 80% charge for the round trip and maybe on ocation need to charge during the day as well as home at night. I have a similar commute everyday so about 160miles RoTp with usually a couple of stopps mid way in each direction. I have had my car for close two two years and it has only been in for regular service except in the beginning I had a few infancy problems..... You might have some but TESLA will most probably take good care of you.... you can not forget you are still an early adopter, so you have to have patients with a few glitches here and there in all domains. But once sorted only joy

good luck

It's an amazing car for a lot of driving. The more you drive, the more you save. And you have fun doing it.
I got to talk to a few people at TMC Connect last year who each drive more than a thousand miles a week. In their Model S.
Definitely sounds like the perfect car for you.

To echo the sentiments of others here: Tesla Model S is a top notch commuting car (especially when you factor in the gas savings). Exotics to me are something you drive on a rare Sunday or to a car show. Indeed, the thought of a 100,000 mile Ferrari seems odd (though I'm sure it happens). The Model S, on the other hand, is a great commuting/family/road trip car that doesn't need to be babied.

Thanks for any advice!

A Tesla is definitely intended for daily use. Using it as an exotic "warm summer days" car is a complete waste of money.

Tesla Model S is an exotic car that can double as a commuter car (more efficient than a Prius), a family road tripper (Autopilot and free "gas"), people hauler (seats up to 5 adults and 2 kids with the optional rear facing seats), Costco car (more cargo space than many small SUV/CUVs).

Maintenance has been great. Basically just tire rotations, windshield wipers, and windshield wiper fluid.

Thanks everyone. Guess I was afraid of putting too many miles on the vehicle and being out of warranty very quickly with a car with pricey parts. Or maybe just wearing out the battery! Lol.

Just explored some certified used options. Since all the bells and whistles are an upgrade from my current ride, maybe the 2013s are a good option.

Appreciate it and I'll be visiting the board often.

The choice comes down to driving the Tesla daily on two bucks worth of electricity, emitting nothing; or driving an ICE for $5-8 per day, with emissions? The ICE is smaller but way cleaner and more efficient. One could put a Tesla in a barn somewhere for rediscovery in 25 after it becomes antique, but why? I've never understood how that happens under normal circumstances.

I've pondered trading my BMW convertible for a commuter EV, but I kinda like the old-fashioned straight six RWD dinosaur for weekends so will probably hang onto it. Maybe I'll put IT in the barn somewhere as a time capsule at some point?

A Perfect Car for Your Commute . . .

1. Style, comfort, unparalleled driving characteristics, very quiet
2. Commuter lane access
3. Full commute, both directions, on one charge
4. Low fuel costs
5. Autopilot features for added safety
6. Wide variety of entertainment options
7. Traffic awareness (Google Maps w/ traffic & route guidance + now you can also look at the Waze incidents reports)
7. Redundant navigation systems (On-board Garmin + Google Maps)

Only thing missing . . . wings!