Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tire pressure recommendations: both D and non-D cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thecloud

As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive
Nov 24, 2014
Sunnyvale, CA
I've read on the internets that Tesla is now recommending a tire pressure of 50 psi, as opposed to 45.

The 6.2 online manual doesn't give a specific value; it says to look at the sticker on the driver's door pillar. Mine says 45 psi. (I have a P85 with 19" wheels and Michelin Primacy tires.)

However, the last time I took my car to the service center, they performed a "check and adjust tire pressure" procedure. The invoice did not state what psi the tire pressure was adjusted to, but I checked it when I got home (using a reasonably accurate gauge) and all 4 tires were at 48 psi. At the time, I thought they must have made a mistake and so I reduced that to just over 45 psi. Now, I'm not so sure I did the right thing.

I wonder if the 50 psi value is specifically due to the extra weight of the dual motor configuration, or is this something that is now recommended for all Model S cars? Maybe 48 psi is actually the best setting for non-D cars?

50 PSI is way too high IMO, maybe they are trying to get a better mileage rating, but that's way too high for a decent ride. Keep it at the PSI you have it now, nothing bad is gonna happen and it will ride better and the tires will probably wear better too. When you put too much PSI in them the center of the tires wear quicker than the outers.

Also if u fill at 50PSI cold that means when they heat up that will be closer to 53-54PSI which to me risks a blowout.

Ah, just found this chart which seems to answer my question. Looks like 45 psi is still the recommended value for non-D cars with 19" tires. 50 psi is only for 19" tires on D cars. 42 psi is recommended for both D and non-D with 21" tires.

(And to set the record straight, I was looking at the estimate invoice; the final invoice did say tire pressures were set to 45 psi.)

Last edited: