Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Founders Series?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could someone explain what is a Founders Series Tesla?

The first 10 or 20 (?) Roadsters produced, after the prototypes, were all sold to insiders, and were labelled "founder's series". The next 100 Roadsters were Signatures. They also do Signatures for the Model Ss and Model Xs in each new market. But as far as I know, only the Roadsters had a founder's series.

There were also Founder's Model S vehicles - VIN 0001 (how's that for a low VIN) is one. I saw it at last year's TMC Connect (one of the entrepreneurs who funded Tesla)
IMG_0436.JPG

There were also Founder's Model S vehicles - VIN 0001 (how's that for a low VIN) is one. I saw it at last year's TMC Connect (one of the entrepreneurs who funded Tesla)
View attachment 77856

I believe that particular car, VIN 001, went to Steve Jurvetson. A Rock Star VC investor who also invested early in Hotmail and of course Tesla, SpaceX and I think SolarCity. He may have also invested in X.com and something called PayPal. Anyone besides me seeing a pattern forming here? Someone could correct me.:smile:

Last edited:
I believe that particular car, VIN 001, went to Steve Jurvetson. A Rock Star VC investor who also invested early in Hotmail and of course Tesla, SpaceX and I think SolarCity. He may have also invested in X.com and something called PayPal. Anyone besides me seeing a pattern forming here? Someone could correct me.:smile:

Yep, VIN 001 went to Steve Jurvetson. Many people here on the forum were lucky enough to meet Steve & hear him speak at TMC Connect 2014. Story behind why he got #1 and not Elon (http://www.cnet.com/news/riding-in-a-tesla-model-s-with-steve-jurvetson/ - watch the video to hear him tell it):

Musk had been dodging Jurvetson's numerous requests to put down a deposit on the car, saying that reservations for the vehicle couldn't be taken until the price was set.
But Jurvetson's luck changed as he prepared for a Tesla Motors board meeting.
"I noticed on page 65 that the prices are available," he said.
He asked whether the prices were being set that day. When he got a "yeah," there was no hesitation.
"I whip out my wallet as fast as I can. All of a sudden I have one check ready to go. I write it out to Tesla Motors for that amount and throw it across the table assuming for whatever reason I was in a race, but everyone else was just stunned," said Jurvetson.

Yep, VIN 001 went to Steve Jurvetson. Many people here on the forum were lucky enough to meet Steve & hear him speak at TMC Connect 2014. Story behind why he got #1 and not Elon (http://www.cnet.com/news/riding-in-a-tesla-model-s-with-steve-jurvetson/ - watch the video to hear him tell it):

Thanks Ms. Bonnie! That's a story I had not heard before. Steve is such a brilliant guy, Glad you all got to meet him. Who knows, maybe I will have the same fortune! :smile: