Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

standard tires on 2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. I thought that was just the performance tires. Tirerack didn't list any other tires that fit. Are there high performance all season tires that also fit that people like? Ones that maybe last 20-30k miles? I read reviews about the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires that were good but looks like they don't fit. Thanks.

Geez, I thought all of the posts about the tires wearing out were for the performance tires as well...I was told the performance tires were noisier, and that they didn't grip well on wet roads.

For those with experience with the performance tires, would these observations be correct?

Thanks for any input!

Let's make use of this Tire Thread: Everyone who has perfomed at least 1 tire change answer the following questions:
What tires did you have?
How many miles did you get?
Did they handle and stop well?
Were they noisy?
Was there a catastrophic failure, ie blow out, etc...?
What did you get to replace them?
How much for new tires?

I talked with someone at TireRack.com and he said that the tire it comes with is the only tire that exactly fits it. I could go with a slightly wider front tire if I wanted something with slightly longer tread-life like the ContiSportContact 2. I guess I'll just get the car first and see how long things last. Just excited about getting the car I guess.

These would work well. Ultra high performance summer tire. Available in the right sizes. And has a 280 wear rating.

http://www.tiresdirect.net/Toyo_Proxes_T1R_W63.cfm

By the way, keep in mind. You non-Sport model Roadster owners should have no problem putting front tires on the car that are the same wider size as those that come with the Sport model. The wheels are the same. You'll get better front traction, which the Roadster desperately needs with its severe understeer. The front tire size on the Sport is 195/50 R16.

Last edited:
attachment.php?attachmentid=701&stc=1&d=1276046544.jpg

The above was for "2.0". It seems like some sports come with AD07s now...

Thanks. So a regular Roadster should drive fine with the same width front tires as the sport I would imagine. The 175/55 R16s are rare I guess.

It's possible when you order the Sport to opt-out of the performance tires now and I think save $850 too which gives you the AD07s.

Dave

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I did.

I mean I'd love to have the stickys, but I need to use the vehicle as a daily driver and don't want to sacrifice the wet weather traction.

Thanks. So a regular Roadster should drive fine with the same width front tires as the sport I would imagine. The 175/55 R16s are rare I guess.

It's possible when you order the Sport to opt-out of the performance tires now and I think save $850 too which gives you the AD07s.

Dave

Also, as a reminder - go easy on brand new tires. They tend to have less traction at first until the molding compound wears off.
Maybe stay away from performance mode for the first couple hundred miles on the new tires for instance?