Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't believe they dropped Silver...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had hoped this was just a temporary thing coinciding with the updates, but Elon's tweet makes it sound like the new color choices are more permanent. To me Silver is just always the right color for a car... And alongside white it has to be the most energy efficient in warm climates... It seems to be a popular choice as I see a lot of them around... Why on earth would they move to all dark color choices?

I had hoped this was just a temporary thing coinciding with the updates, but Elon's tweet makes it sound like the new color choices are more permanent. To me Silver is just always the right color for a car... And alongside white it has to be the most energy efficient in warm climates... It seems to be a popular choice as I see a lot of them around... Why on earth would they move to all dark color choices?

Agree. My first S85 RWD was silver and it just looked perfect. I was told the guy who penned the design had actually claimed Silver was the color he always envisioned it being. That being said, while I loved my silver car, my wife's Pearl White S60 is a nice color, as well. I've since upgraded to a tricoat red, which is cool and unique... but the silver seems to be the most elegant option I'd say (next to pear white)

Me neither. At car shows I get so many people saying that silver is their favourite colour. My hope is that they bring it back when the new paint shop comes on line.

I think they should have kept Silver instead of adding Obsidian Black. Their reasoning likely goes since Black is currently the most popular color and Silver is the least popular, they are better off offering two shades of black. I don't think many people will pay to upgrade to a metallic black when they can get Solid Black for no cost. The difference just isn't as noticeable as Pearl White is over the also discontinued Solid White. They would be better off keeping variety in the lighter shades than two nearly identical shades of black.

I have always liked silver cars. I have owned several, but they are very common. On the other hand, black is very popular, especially in Europe. I ended up with the dark blue. It is blue in sunlight and black in shade and nighttime. I have found I really like colors that change colors in different lighting.

Sliver is my go-to color for 90% of my cars...not sure what I would have done without that choice. It's very odd for it not to be an option, literally every competing car in the luxury market offers it.

D3539C14-454E-4554-BA3E-1FFC838A80CB_zpsa54sjauy.jpg

Silver was always going to be my next color. Unless they bring it back, I can say there will be no Tesla in my future :(

Please don't flame me, but as someone who is waiting to pull the plug, for numerous reasons of which none are financial, I am starting to get concerned and a little turned off about how quickly things are changing. It should not be a crap shoot to know that what the packages contained last month should be the same today. Same with pricing. It just seems to volatile and that will scare some people away. I really do wish Tesla well though.

Silver was always going to be my next color. Unless they bring it back, I can say there will be no Tesla in my future :(

Please don't flame me, but as someone who is waiting to pull the plug, for numerous reasons of which none are financial, I am starting to get concerned and a little turned off about how quickly things are changing. It should not be a crap shoot to know that what the packages contained last month should be the same today. Same with pricing. It just seems to volatile and that will scare some people away. I really do wish Tesla well though.

Sounds to me like even if they did bring silver back (which would be another change), you're not going to buy.

I am guessing that the person who posted above me has a PhD in mind reading? I am waiting for things like SuperCharging in Minnesota that can actually get you up north, as well as a potential job change that would make the economics better. Right now my commute is 5 miles round trip. There are several other issues but the fact that I have put down $5k on a reservation tells that I am serious about a Tesla. Driving an EV requires compromise, but a basic color like silver should not be one of them.

I am guessing that the person who posted above me has a PhD in mind reading? I am waiting for things like SuperCharging in Minnesota that can actually get you up north, as well as a potential job change that would make the economics better. Right now my commute is 5 miles round trip. There are several other issues but the fact that I have put down $5k on a reservation tells that I am serious about a Tesla. Driving an EV requires compromise, but a basic color like silver should not be one of them.

No, sorry you took such offense. None was meant.

It's just that you said "I am starting to get concerned and a little turned off about how quickly things are changing" and that things were too volatile for you. So I assumed color wasn't really the core issue.

Apologies if I hit a button.

No, sorry you took such offense. None was meant.

It's just that you said "I am starting to get concerned and a little turned off about how quickly things are changing" and that things were too volatile for you. So I assumed color wasn't really the core issue.

Apologies if I hit a button.

Thanks Bonnie. I am still trying to wrap my hands around this evolving tech. Not sure that we can call it new since some of the first motor transports were EV's. That being said, I put a lot of trust, faith and confidence in this company to change the world. Starting from the dealerships to the manufacturing to the re-energizing through the SuperCharging program. That is why such simple things like eliminating a basic color, moving an option like lift-gate to a premium package, advertising greatly exaggerated "gas savings", masking doc fee's in the fine print, etc, really do fight the image that Tesla is trying to overcome. And to stay relevant to the topic, not having silver is an absolute killer. I am now driving a white car and can't stand the color. First and last. My 2013 Passat TDI SEL that I traded it in for was silver, my Honda was silver, my Saab was a kind of silver. Like I said, this type of compromise should not be required and I sure hope they will change their tune, especially when the X start production. Thanks...

I think it's very odd that Tesla is going to drop silver when every other high end auto manu. not only offers silver but multiple silver variations. I think it'd be better if Tesla improved the current silver, maybe better saturation or something.

You can still order silver off-menu for the next few months per Elon. Just call them.

I was thinking the same thing - my pattern is blue, green, silver as follows:

1985 - blue 1978 Olds 98
1987 - green 1975 Mercedes 240D
1990 - silver 1986 Acura Legend
1999 - blue 1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible
2012 - green 2013 Chevy Volt
2015 - silver? Model S?

I am willing to allow the metallic dark grey or even better, titanium, act as a proxy for silver, however.

For me its the fact I will be leaving this car in airport parking quite a bit and will only have a few days home with it before I head right back to an airport during my busier travel spurts. It's only light colors for me. Allows the somewhat clean freak in me the ability to tolerate a dirty car until I am home long enough to get the thing washed.

Last two cars were white. I really do not want another white car so placed my order a month early so I could get Silver before they stop producing it end of June.

Silver was always going to be my next color. Unless they bring it back, I can say there will be no Tesla in my future. Please don't flame me, but as someone who is waiting to pull the plug, for numerous reasons of which none are financial ...

Hmmm....

I am guessing that the person who posted above me has a PhD in mind reading? I am waiting for things like SuperCharging in Minnesota that can actually get you up north, as well as a potential job change that would make the economics better.

Isn't making the "economics better" a "financial" reason?