Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's left to improve on the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cooled seats
choice of actual colours in the design studio
LTE data
More powerful processor
More apps (maybe more streaming audio choices? )
Upgrades to auto pilot hardware to add cross traffic detection and long distance rear/adjacent lane tragic detection.
Robot charging arm (not really part of the car, but it's coming)
The ability for rear seat passengers to control their own seat heaters
Larger battery pack (100kWh?)
And shortly after model 3, a full design refresh.

Tesla has done such a fantastic job on the S, there is not that much room for fruther improvement. Probably best to concentrate on completely new models like the X, III, and the F-150 killer.

However, I will add this list anyway:

Tougher, more durable paint (maybe Tesla's new "world best"paint shop will provide this later this year)
Better cup holders
Regen paddles on steering wheel
Further engineering contineous improvement design changes (better quality and reliability, lower cost)
"100DL" model with stretched wheelbase for spacious rear cabin with more headroom also. (Similar to BMW and Mercedes)
Heated armrests, and maybe door panels and/or headliner (more efficient and comfortable than resistive cabin heater or heat pump)
More software features (autopilot, charge and/or precondition based on departure time, apps, etc.)

GSP

My biggest wish for now is:

Voice control in different languages.
I can speak english OK, but I have no idea how to pronounce "Haaksbergerstraat 12, Enschede" in english so that the car will understand me.. Basicly the only place I can navigate to with voice command, is McDonalds.... :frown:

Dark grey 19" Cyclone wheels.
A darker tone of tan leather interior.
Executive Seating - Seat Angle Adjustment of Seat Back
+1 On the Cooled Seats
+1 On rear passengers in control of their seat heaters
Heads Up Display - Speedo & Navigation Next Turn and power meter.
More voice control of automobile objects such as Panoramic Roof, Seat heaters, door locks, etc.
A battery pack that gets the P85D 10% further however recharges in the same time frame (or less) as the current 85 pack.
On P85D Paddles for Insane Mode On or Off.
An indicator that shows when Torque Sleep is "in effect".
When you open the driver's door, the steering wheel and seat adjust for your pre-defined easy exit/ingress setting (my 1993 Lexus SC400 had this)
Read Only access to the service menus.
Solar Panel in Pano Roof powering air ventilation &/ recharge when car is sitting in sun - Our Prius IV has this
A smaller turning radius
Active Electronic Noise Suppression
Blind Spot Warning indication moved to mirrors or pillars
A front end redesign eventually - the schnoz cone

Last edited:
More sophisticated navigation (waypoints, trip options, nearby POI suggestions, supercharger selection suggestions based on POI.)

More integration between Autopilot and Navigation.

Offboard trip planning tied to the car's navigation.

More interaction between Navigation and internet (menu choices at Superchargers, real time construction and weather adjustments.)

As others said, cooled seats is a big one. Possibly even fancy massaging seats like the upper end luxury cars.

Automated 'valet' Supercharging - car drops you off at front of restaurant, then automatically goes to best open stall and is plugged in, returns to waiting area when adequate charge is achieved.

Car to car and mobile app communication, so that if you pull in to a charging area and all stalls are taken, you can hit a button and prompt messages go out to the mobile apps of any owners that have finished charging. With autopilot, it could even allow the person waiting to unplug the car and the car to repark itself out of the way if the owner who finished charging authorized it.

Car to car communication for Autopilot car trains - closer following distance for drafting and better road utilization made safe by knowing what the other car is doing and seeing.

Just off the top of my head. There are still lots of places where being able to integrate all the pieces leads to opportunities for Tesla that no other car today has.
Walter

360 radar with better TACC/Autopilot.
360 cameras like the Leaf with top down parking views
Better seats
Trunk lightning ... even crappy lightning is better than no lighting
Unlock the ability to use the front facing camera as a dash am (snapshots, last 5 mins of video)
Waze integration and better Nav directions
Android or iOS so we can freely download apps (like a real browser)

Additional motors for side to side torque vectoring.
4 wheel steering
Higher sustained power output.
Better cooling for harder driving before rev limiter kicks in
Higher supercharger power
Larger battery without increasing weight through higher specific energy
Upgraded sensor package - rear mobileye, rear radar, side/blind spot cameras, etc. for more autonomous driving
top down view cameras
cup holders in the rear, map pockets
ability to control the media player from the rear seat
better media player
more side to side room - given the outside dimensions, interior is cramped
more headroom in the rear
winged headrests like in airplanes
rear video entertainment system
better ventilation for the rear
aggressive in cabin air filtration for allergies and bad pollution
better noise suppression glass