Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best low maintenance color now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With solid white out, what would you say is a good low maintenance color?

I've always heard light colors: white or silver to hide scratches and dirt. Any multi-coat is hard to touch-up due which is why I was trying to steer away from pearl white.

Curious to hear from owners, the best color (given the new choices now) for:
- hiding scratches
- easy to touch-up
- easy to keep clean (black which is now the standard color is notorious for being pain to keep looking clean)
- less conspicuous (so not fire engine red)

Thanks!

I've always heard light colors: white or silver to hide scratches and dirt. Any multi-coat is hard to touch-up due which is why I was trying to steer away from pearl white.

- hiding scratches
- easy to touch-up
- easy to keep clean (black which is now the standard color is notorious for being pain to keep looking clean)

Thanks!

Solid white is still available if you ask as per Elon's recent tweet. From the current colors the solid black should be the easiest to maintain in terms of touch-up, but for looking clean when dirty I would go with the Titanium Metallic (disclaimer, not sure how dark it really looks in person as I haven't seen it yet). Don't forget a good clear film wrap can even protect you from being keyed by jealous neighbors.

The Lexus I've seen with the titanium color just look so old and tired after a year. I'd say that pearl would be the best low maintenance colour. Let's hope they bring back silver after the new paint shop is ready.

camo-tesla-model-s-2.jpg

- hiding scratches
- easy to touch-up

Thanks!

Typically silver/grey type colors offer the best option. Metallic can be harder to match, but in my experience, the lighter the better. I'd say the new Titanium color would be best, followed by either the grey or pearl white. If you don't like the "gold Buick" look of the Titanium, I'd probably suggest the grey.

The color that is closest to the color of dirt and dust. So the answer obviously is the new Titanium Metallic.
Agreed. I saw Titanium Metallic on a car for the first time today (as opposed to just a photo or a showroom paint sample). My wife and I both loved it, and if it had been available in 2013 we would have picked it instead of silver.

It's a color that will hide dirt well, probably even better than silver.

Very good question! How many times have I thought about this? Millions. My opinion is that the closer you get to an earth tone (read: dirt), the less you will see. Perhaps the new sandy color (don't know the name: bronze...) would be best. But I must say, I had may car detailed and coated with CQuartz on the new Steel Grey and that darn thing seems to always be clean. It's like the dust and dirt just shed off of it. It's amazing, plain and simple. It cost a bunch. But after six months, I have only water washed that car one time. Otherwise, I just dust and waterless wash and she is pristine. But I do live in CA.

Being a car fanatic, I could not be happier.

Very good question! How many times have I thought about this? Millions. My opinion is that the closer you get to an earth tone (read: dirt), the less you will see. Perhaps the new sandy color (don't know the name: bronze...) would be best. But I must say, I had may car detailed and coated with CQuartz on the new Steel Grey and that darn thing seems to always be clean. It's like the dust and dirt just shed off of it. It's amazing, plain and simple. It cost a bunch. But after six months, I have only water washed that car one time. Otherwise, I just dust and waterless wash and she is pristine. But I do live in CA.

Why not wrap?

I did notice that solid white is back in the design studio, guess they can't make up their mind!

Thanks for that. Makes me feel better about choosing between these:

red blue.JPG

Being parked side by side in identical light conditions (north facing charging stalls near noon on a cloudy day) the only variable is color. I noticed that there seems to be more pronounced apparent difference in appearance between shade vs light in the blue than in the red. In other pictures one can see more pronounced reflections of sky and surroundings in the blue than in the red, probably because it is darker and less translucent (red is after all a "candy apple" type of color - translucent red over silver metallic base).

- - - Updated - - -

With any luck a new color will be Metallic Dirty Silver.

You may have a second career ahead of you as a color namer! :)

Just don't get too cute as the folks at Huffy Bicycles did many years ago. They decided to use humorous color names on "banana seat" bikes for kids. The chartreuse color, named "Slime Lime", worked well, but they got a lot of parental blowback from the purple color that they named "Statutory Grape".

Last edited: