Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model S get in-home supercharging-April 30 battery pack release?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new product release is likely to be a tesla stationary storage pack as tesla has previously talked about. Buying this his to capture off peak power to use during peak can't justify the cost alone. It needs to offer something else. Why cant ant we supercharge at home? Because residential electrical systems can't handle the load.A battery could. Elon on even mentioned using stationary batteries for this at superchargrr sites to smooth out demand peaks.

The new product release is likely to be a tesla stationary storage pack as tesla has previously talked about. Buying this his to capture off peak power to use during peak can't justify the cost alone. It needs to offer something else. Why cant ant we supercharge at home? Because residential electrical systems can't handle the load.A battery could. Elon on even mentioned using stationary batteries for this at superchargrr sites to smooth out demand peaks.

Because home batteries will be 5kwh to 10kwh in capacity. That is good for maybe 15 - 30 miles? Even then you are asking them to discharge at over 10C. They might develop something as an emergency charging to allow for 19.2kw + 30kw charging in case of an emergency to put on 5 miles in 2 minutes. So more like chademo speeds (and only for a few miles). But supercharging at home isn't going to happen.

I too suspect the packs will be built fairly small. But you may well be able to daisy-chain them. Tesla is currently quoting $25k for a replacement 85kWh vehicle pack, and the home packs may be able to use cheaper cells. So unless the home packs have a lot more circuitry (or are expected to have very different charge/discharge profiles) I could see a lot of people that want to make it through a few days of a power outage (I had a really nasty mid-winter week without power a few years ago) getting fairly big packs.

Not that I see any reason to charge my cars that fast at home; I've never had a need in 6 years of driving electric.

Because home batteries will be 5kwh to 10kwh in capacity. That is good for maybe 15 - 30 miles? Even then you are asking them to discharge at over 10C. They might develop something as an emergency charging to allow for 19.2kw + 30kw charging in case of an emergency to put on 5 miles in 2 minutes. So more like chademo speeds (and only for a few miles). But supercharging at home isn't going to happen.

Not only this, but even if the home packs were bigger, you couldn't just throw a switch and let the packs equalize, you'd need power electronics to deliver and regulate that charge to the car at a high DC current - and it wouldn't be cheap. It's a better business decision to let the home battery pack provide the more universal AC to your standard UMC, if you need a car charge. Very few people would need anything more than a standard level 2 charge, and Tesla's going to go after what most people need.

I think the home battery is going to disappoint more people than it impresses. Back when the Roadster came out, I hoped for a hookup at home that would allow me to use my car battery to power my home in an emergency, helping me to rationalize the cost of the battery at the same time I helped the utility level its load. I'm disappointed that neither hope has been realized now that I've sprung for a Model S. I agree that home supercharging is the last thing we need. And I can't sell my ICE generator yet, since our neighborhood continues to be subject to occasional outages.