Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 85D 6.2 2nd update acceleration too fast?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I went to test out the new sport acceleration and new freshly paved flat road this Morning. It's out of town and empty most of the time. Had tried a few launched last week and never had an issue until today. I hit 60 very fast and about a second later heard a loud scraping noise. I pulled over and found the covering under the trunk had fallen down half way and was scraping on the road.

Trying to figure out what happened I looked under the car. I didn't see the screws that hold it in place any where, don't know if they fell out or when my car was accelerating or when my car was serviced last week they forgot to put them back in. I was able to pop the covering back in place for now, then I went to drive the road to see if there was a pot hole or anything on the road. I couldn't find anything. Was my air suspension too low and the back end hit the road with the extra horse power or where my screws missing in the first place and the wind blow the covering out of place?

IMG_1449.jpg
IMG_1450.jpg
IMG_1455.jpg
IMG_1460.jpg
IMG_1462.jpg

Was my air suspension too low and the back end hit the road with the extra horse power or where my screws missing [after service the week before] in the first place and the wind blow the covering out of place?

Please read the red alternative. Now read the blue. Which seems more plausible to you?

You don't think they've driven these cars fast a lot in testing? If there was a flaw in the design it wouldn't suddenly appear only now if the car can now do 3.1 instead of 3.2 seconds in a 0-60 sprint.

Please read the red alternative. Now read the blue. Which seems more plausible to you?

You don't think they've driven these cars fast a lot in testing? If there was a flaw in the design it wouldn't suddenly appear only now if the car can now do 3.1 instead of 3.2 seconds in a 0-60 sprint.

This is an 85D so it's a bigger jump in performance. But yeah, I think it unlikely that it rocked back and hit something. Unless there was something in the road.

Why would the construction of the plate under the trunk be different for a P85D and an 85D? In other words if the P85D can do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds without it falling off, why would it matter if the 85D did 0-60 in 5.2 or 4.4 seconds? It's still slower than the P85D where this piece is not typically falling off.

Is there even enough suspension travel to bottom out *at the rear axle*? I seriously doubt it or a good asphalt transition would be causing this to happen.

Just took a look in Design Studio... new addition to the performance package... 'Wheelie Bars'... :biggrin:

I can't stop thinking about what must have happened. I'm going to go back and look at the curve of the road how round it is. The scrap marks are mostly on the fins that are the lowest point on the covering as they might have hit the ground first. Is there less clearance at the back of the car then the front? What is the clearance at the lowest setting? Has anyone had any issues before with a S85P launching in the low or lowest suspension setting and scraping the road? I took off in the low setting, not 100% sure if I had done that before, I think I had on the road but not sure.

I can't stop thinking about what must have happened. I'm going to go back and look at the curve of the road how round it is. The scrap marks are mostly on the fins that are the lowest point on the covering as they might have hit the ground first. Is there less clearance at the back of the car then the front? What is the clearance at the lowest setting? Has anyone had any issues before with a S85P launching in the low or lowest suspension setting and scraping the road? I took off in the low setting, not 100% sure if I had done that before, I think I had on the road but not sure.

Are you being serious? Are you saying that somehow the acceleration would cause the car to "sit down" on the ground with the rear? And for this to rip off/loose this covering?

Are you being serious? Are you saying that somehow the acceleration would cause the car to "sit down" on the ground with the rear? And for this to rip off/loose this covering?

Well, I had gone around 80Mph on my trip back from the service center from Denver and it didn't have an issue until trying out the new sport mode. So it had to be one of three things:

1. The screws where never put back in or where too loose and the wind and or vibrations made the panel drop down over time and this launch pushed over the edge.
2. The curve of the road, acceleration and low suspension bounced at lowest point and knocked out the screws and popped out the cover.

I guess it has to be 1. Just making sure it wasn't an issue with anyone else before I go accusing the service center.

- - - Updated - - -

The same thing happened once on my Roadster. The service techs forgot to put the screws back on the underside cowling and it started to drag on the highway a few days after service. Luckily no serious damage.

That's good to know, did they just bolt it back in or did they replace the covering for you at no charge? Mine looks like the fins are pretty ripped up and the cover looks bent up. It's 300 miles to the SLC or 360 miles to Denver to get mine serviced. I'm going to Las Vegas on Monday and will be there all week. Thinking about taking to the Vegas service center if I can get some bolt or wire to hold it in place for the trip down.

Why are you guys being so hard on the OP? He's just trying to really make sure he couldn't have somehow inadvertently caused the problem before he puts the blame on someone else. He also recognizes that in blaming the service center, he's likely going to be getting one or more people in trouble, and it's also going to be somewhat awkward, because this isn't really something he's going to easily be able to "prove." Whomever he speaks to is not going to want to believe, right off the bat, that a Tesla tech just neglected to put screws back in a crucial part of the car.

It makes total sense to me that pox would want to be certain before going to the service center with the claim that they messed up. Cut him some slack!

Why are you guys being so hard on the OP? He's just trying to really make sure he couldn't have somehow inadvertently caused the problem before he puts the blame on someone else. He also recognizes that in blaming the service center, he's likely going to be getting one or more people in trouble, and it's also going to be somewhat awkward, because this isn't really something he's going to easily be able to "prove." Whomever he speaks to is not going to want to believe, right off the bat, that a Tesla tech just neglected to put screws back in a crucial part of the car.

It makes total sense to me that pox would want to be certain before going to the service center with the claim that they messed up. Cut him some slack!

My sentiments exactly!