Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on antivirus app for IOS (IPad platform)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ORB

Jun 22, 2012
For you Apple-savvy folks,

Unfortunately I got careless this week and clicked on a Google Drive attachment from a friend using Safari (v. 8.x) on my IPad Mini, and the embedded spambot found my Gmail address and password. It then proceeded to forward that spam to many of my contacts using my IPad Contacts app and my hacked Gmail account.

I promptly changed my Gmail account password, but wonder if there is anything else I should do? Can anyone recommend a competent antivirus or antimalware app for the IPad? Should I consider backing up my stuff and then restore my IPad Mini to "as new" condition, i.e. wipe the memory clean?

Thank you in advance!

Oliver

I promptly changed my Gmail account password, but wonder if there is anything else I should do? Can anyone recommend a competent antivirus or antimalware app for the IPad? Should I consider backing up my stuff and then restore my IPad Mini to "as new" condition, i.e. wipe the memory clean?

Thank you in advance!

Oliver

One defense is to enable 2-factor authentication on your Google account. When enabled, Google will send your phone an SMS with a code whenever someone tries to log into your account with the correct password. The login won't complete without entry of this additional code.

There is no such thing. You can't get malware on the iOS platform.
There are plenty of security vulnerabilities patched in iOS all the time. Click thru the details of various iOS security updates at Apple security updates - Apple Support.

Some have been exploited. Here are a few examples:
Apple iPhone 4S hacked by Exploiting Safari in iOS 5, iOS 6
iOS 7_1 exploit for CVE-2014-4377 flaw publicly availableSecurity Affairs
iPhone Security Bug Lets Innocent-Looking Apps Go Bad - Forbes
JailbreakMe 3.0 and the iOS PDF Flaw: Protect Your Business | PCWorld

The APIs don't exist to allow someone open access.
They're not supposed to but see above...
Anyone who claims to write anti-virus or anti-malware software for iOS is scamming.
Yes, probably, given the sandbox for each iOS app and the limited things an app can do in the background: Background Execution.

On a related note to the OP's query: Apple Removes Intego's 'VirusBarrier' From iOS App Store, Says It's Misleading - Mac Rumors.

Last edited: