Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current and upcomming climate change and air pollution related EV policies thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There should be a thread dedicated to the changing regulation landscape as a result of climate change and air pollution.
Since California and Norway both have such policies, and both are significant markets for Tesla, the importance of incentives and other regulations on Tesla seems quite obvious.

Recent example:
"Paris car ban imposed after pollution hits high"
Paris car ban imposed after pollution hits high - BBC News

I don't have a link readily available, but China has recently introduced similar policies for when pollution maintains a certain level for (I believe) 3 days, with the exception of course being for EVs.

The China policy I think will have a huge impact, as they have a very healthy base who can afford the Tesla, and there aren't many cars that can compare with Tesla's range and charging capabilities just yet. I can't imagine their wealthier citizens--typically driven around by workers on a daily basis--would be comfortable randomly resorting to public transportation.

I don't have a link readily available, but China has recently introduced similar policies for when pollution maintains a certain level for (I believe) 3 days, with the exception of course being for EVs.

The China policy I think will have a huge impact, as they have a very healthy base who can afford the Tesla, and there aren't many cars that can compare with Tesla's range and charging capabilities just yet. I can't imagine their wealthier citizens--typically driven around by workers on a daily basis--would be comfortable randomly resorting to public transportation.

I'd be really interested to know if the new sales team in China makes this point (as well as quick access to number plates in the relevant cities) very clearly to potential customers. I agree that it's a pretty huge selling point:
'Would you buy a car that, on any day of the year, without forewarning, could, and will, become completely undriveable for at least a day multiple times a year? - This Tesla, which is also amazing in other ways, is literally the only 'nice' car you can buy today to which the above does not apply'.

I believe the way the restriction applies to cars with either even/odd number plate numbers in alternation, and that many wealthy city dwellers simply get around this by owning two cars (with one odd and one even number plate) so they can always drive. Owning a Tesla could save such people the cost of a luxury car.

Regarding discussed change to regulation so that the California tax incentives will be limited to cars costing $40k or less, what is your opinion on this?
I agree on the logic of it, even more so if the total amount of incentives per EV increases, but is allocated to cheaper EVs.
Regarding the affect on Tesla, it seems to be negative but they will have a $35k car in two years. And if the incentives are to continue for many years to come it seems inevitable that they be amended at some point. So the best outcome for Tesla could be that the amendment be delayed to start from 2017.