Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Despite new release notes, car won't go over 132.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
since the description says something like 'passing maneuvers up to 155mph' I suspect only under perfect conditions (95-100% charge, battery cool enough) would it only briefly hit 155mph for a few seconds but in general it wont be able to come near that and certainly won't be able to sustain that.

What power draw is needed to sustain >130 mph? Let's say on a nice 70 F day with no winds.

Reason I ask is because I've definitely held 80 mph with less than 40 kW draw. Seems like acceleration is more the determining factor as to when the limiter appears because that's what generates the heat.

I appreciate the effort to max out the vehicle.

I do question your assumption that the car will go 155, despite the manufacturer's suggestion that it could be possible under certain conditions. Passing? Really, Tesla? That is how you justify raising the limit to 155?.

There is a difference between moving an electronic restriction up to 155 and a vehicle being able to arbitrarily achieve that velocity.

Perhaps someone could test a P85D at high elevation (Rockies?), at a steep decent (10% grade), drafting behind, say, a Cayanne Turbo, and see how close to 155 they get.

I don't recall the previous limited speed (135 perhaps?), but were people hitting the previous limit? If not, it's reasonable to assume they won't be hitting the higher limit either, at least under normal conditions.