Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should a reboot always be done after a software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The update itself will reboot components, potentially multiple times. I wouldn't worry about doing it yourself unless you see a problem (but then I'd also make a note to service).

To me, if an update (on anything) required the user to reboot the device too after the update, I'd regard it as a flaw in the update process.

Many owners post problems after every update, almost all of them are solved by a reboot.

It's not like rebooting the car takes that long, or is that hard to do, I've never understood the reluctance to do so.

Just reboot the thing after every update, and as the first step in any troubleshooting, you'll save yourself a lot of grief.

eye.surgeon said:
As stated above the updates trigger a reboot anyways.
Nice theory, but after every update people flood the forum with odd issues that end up being solved days later when they finally reboot manually. So save yourself the grief and reboot at the first sign of any quirkiness. It's dead simple, takes almost no time, and solves a lot of issues.
and best of all, there is absolutely no down side whatsoever.

Rebooting is never a bad idea after an update. My experience has been that doing so won't save you from rebooting later. It seems the frequency of required reboots has increased with the software versions.

The only thing I would recommend is to NOT reboot until you're completely sure the update as completed. I've found that the car can be in various stages of responsiveness during the update/upgrade. The interesting thing is I was having a bluetooth issue and the reboot fixed it. This is a double edged sword though. Sometimes when these bugs happen, while rebooting fixed them, it doesn't often permit Tesla to resolve them in future updates unless it's communicated to them. Basically, I wouldn't keep rebooting to fix a nagging issue.

I've rebooted a few times to solve minor problems. Normally I take a picture with a timestamp first so the SC can pull the logs and look at what he problem was.
For those wondering, a reboot can be done while driving. (done it when 3G would stop working for me while driving).

Haven't had to reboot for about 4 months now. (hope I didn't just jinx myself).

I've had my car for just over 4 months and I've had to reboot maybe twice during that period. The most recent was during a trip (when I still had 6.1), with lots of flipping back and forth between apps on the main screen, and eventually it just started getting sluggish and unresponsive.