Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

in production! production time vs. delivery question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my S85 is finally in production! looking at the spreadsheet tracker it seems like 3-5 days in production is pretty typical. what's not clear to me is when cars are typically ready for pickup in fremont. how long does it take? what happens between manufacturing and pickup? i know delivery adds time for many people but at someone not far from fremont, i'm wondering what usually determines when you get to pick up.

exciting times! :)

thanks!

my S85 is finally in production! looking at the spreadsheet tracker it seems like 3-5 days in production is pretty typical. what's not clear to me is when cars are typically ready for pickup in fremont. how long does it take? what happens between manufacturing and pickup? i know delivery adds time for many people but at someone not far from fremont, i'm wondering what usually determines when you get to pick up.

exciting times! :)

thanks!

If you are in the Bay area, then you should have the car by 4/18-19, give or take. You ready for payment yet? You were mid-May, now picking up "late-mid April" probably.

Wow bishop. My DS did say the car can be in production for up to 2 weeks, but I just thought she was 'padding' the expectation. When I managed shipping containers coming from China to the U.S. I would notice that anytime I told a customer it would be 4-8 weeks until delivery they would only hear the '4'! So I started saying 8 weeks regardless. If it showed up early I was a hero.

I hope it's not a supply chain issue. Although mine is an S85. I'm surprised the P85D's and 85's are sharing the production line. Interesting.

If it's any consolation, my car also went into production on the 11th and is still there. Maybe a hiccup at the factory?
Bishop, any update? I did hear that cars can take longer in production if something is found during testing that requires rework or more attention. I'm wondering if that is what may be happening with your car? Hopefully it changes soon.

I was checking about every 20-40 minutes today (I know, I know) and went to lunch. When we came back it was out of production.

Bishop, any update? I did hear that cars can take longer in production if something is found during testing that requires rework or more attention. I'm wondering if that is what may be happening with your car? Hopefully it changes soon.

I was checking about every 20-40 minutes today (I know, I know) and went to lunch. When we came back it was out of production.

Nope. Still in production. Tomorrow will be 12 days in production and my DS isn't exactly being responsive. Not exactly the experience I was hoping for in making a $130k purchase...

further update-

after 14 days in production (notice came apr 10), today's update isn't exactly what i was hoping for:

"The paint has been completed on your vehicle and it should be moving onto general assembly today. Once it’s in the final stages of production we will isolate a date and time. I am crossing my fingers for your Model S to finish production by late next week"

my DS has been responsive, which is great. i'm just a bit bummed as recent "in production" times have seemed a fair bit shorter. it's seemingly a pretty vanilla 85kWh Model S spec though i did get the dual chargers in before they change the availability of that. who knows? i'm nervous about the window given upcoming business travel that may conflict with delivery, so naturally i did point that out. fingers crossed!

it's not the several year wait some of the early orders experience but it's longer than i'd like of course
:biggrin: