Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S paint color choices (as of 10 Apr 2015)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

Mods, can the discussion of the new paint color choices be consolidated into one thread? Just a suggestion...

I am disappointed that Tesla's much touted new paint shop is not able to provide buyers with a reasonable range of paint color choices.

As of today there are only 7 colors: non- metallic black (no extra cost), Titanium Metallic (was "Warm Silver"), Midnight Silver Metallic (dark grey), Obsidian Black Metallic, Deep Blue Metallic (was "Ocean Blue"), and the long-standing multi-cost colors Pearl White and Red).

By comparison, BMW offers 11 colors for the 7 series, AUDI offers 11 colors for the A7, MB offers 14 colors for the S class, and Porsche offers 14 for the Panamera. And all those companies offer a light silver, whereas Tesla just dropped that color even though it seems to be quite popular.

Tesla can do better.

I was surprised to note that those manufacturers also offer what I consider to be limited color palettes in terms of the range of color tones. They are rather bland, but that seems to be the style these days. So in that sense Tesla is in line with other companies, and the Tesla Multi-Coar Red is an outlier.

Mods, can the discussion of the new paint color choices be consolidated into one thread? Just a suggestion...

I am disappointed that Tesla's much touted new paint shop is not able to provide buyers with a reasonable range of paint color choices.

As of today there are only 7 colors: non- metallic black (no extra cost), Titanium Metallic (was "Warm Silver"), Midnight Silver Metallic (dark grey), Obsidian Black Metallic, Deep Blue Metallic (was "Ocean Blue"), and the long-standing multi-cost colors Pearl White and Red).

By comparison, BMW offers 11 colors for the 7 series, AUDI offers 11 colors for the A7, MB offers 14 colors for the S class, and Porsche offers 14 for the Panamera. And all those companies offer a light silver, whereas Tesla just dropped that color even though it seems to be quite popular.

Tesla can do better.

I was surprised to note that those manufacturers also offer what I consider to be limited color palettes in terms of the range of color tones. They are rather bland, but that seems to be the style these days. So in that sense Tesla is in line with other companies, and the Tesla Multi-Coar Red is an outlier.

Auto manufacturers that have existed for over half a century, produce 8 to 10 distinct models and sell millions of vehicles annually have a much larger array of production colors on offer.

I think a manufacturer that produced its first vehicle 7 years ago, has not yet produced 100,000 vehicles in total, and has but one model to offer, is doing pretty well to offer 7 colors (actually 10 colors for the next few months).

As for offering a color available on every other ICE vehicle, I don't think that is what Tesla is going for.

For people wanting a color that every manufacturer offers, there is still black.

I just got back from the Tesla Factory to see the new Warm Silver and Ocean Blue. I gotta say, I'm totally underwhelmed. The warm silver looks NOTHING like the pictures online. You have to see it in person. Personally, I think it looks great in the shade, but in the sun I don't like it at all. Reminds me of a goldish color that would be found on an old Lexus ES or an old minivan. As for the blue, it looks great in the sun, but in the shade was too dark again, at least for me. When we drove off, the new blue car was behind us for a test drive, and in the rear view mirror I thought it was black.

Who is picking these colors - please! There are so many awesome colors out there and some of these look like they were forced into taking left over paint or something. This is now the second time I have been down there ready to upgrade to a P85D, and I left without any colors that move me. I will most likely just order a white one to replace my white P85, because there just is not enough choices.

Of course, color is a personal preference, so I hope other love these colors. I just wish we had more choices.

I must be doing something wrong. The only way I know to get into the design studio is to start to place an order. When I do that, I do I not see the new paint colors, consistent with what Dennis says. Is there another way to see the new colors?

So.. Why are other people able to see the new colors online but not me? I switched from my iPad to a desktop computer I still only see the original 7 colors. Is there a different way to get to the design studio?
Is this what you see? If so, it's the current lineup of colors.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 1,081
Last edited:
I saw a forum owner's post on here awhile back (my apologies for forgetting who it was) who was showing how the short-lived aero wheels looked on his silver Model S. In all of the pictures the car looked silver, but in one, it was reflecting the deep blue sky, making the car look like a light metallic blue color. I always thought that would have been a terrific color for a Model S. Maybe they could call it "Electric Blue".

electric blue tesla.jpg

Last edited:
I saw a forum owner's car on here awhile back (my apologies for forgetting who it was) who was showing how the short-lived aero wheels looked on his silver Model S, but in one of the pictures it was reflecting a deep blue sky, making the car look like a light metallic blue color. I always thought that would have been a terrific color for a Model S. Maybe they could call it "Electric Blue".

View attachment 77910

I wholeheartedly agree! I would pick that color in a second!