Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon discusses showing Tesla Pricing as reflective of annual gasoline savings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla could be a 2nd car after an EV enthusiast started with a Volt or Leaf (or their first Model S RWD) two years or more ago. There will be no real gasoline savings for those types. Including in Europe where a Leaf owner buying a Model S won't save on gas (whooops, petrol).

However silly these 'real' gasoline savings remain, at least Tesla Motors has dropped the even more silly savings on billable hours spent at the gas station.

Keep it real, Elon!

Last edited:
A prohibitively high price is a prohibitively high price, regardless of how much it might save you later. It needs to be idiot-proof clear that the after gas savings price is after gas savings over X number of years.

Also, this is a case of "don't feed the trolls". By showing the price in that manner, it serves a big ole piece of cake to trolls who would love to have a new reason to bash on Tesla.

That's all well and fine, but it shouldn't be the PRIMARY price displayed. Display the normal price and then show the price after savings. Still sleazy IMO.

Agree. The current pricing display is something I would expect from other car companies and just opens the door for criticism.
Eventually after they hear more and more complaints they will revert back to common sense.

I would say that the gas savings should be shown, but not included in the primary price that is shown.
Why?
Because when Joe Average goes out to buy their first EV, one of the questions will be "how much will I save on gas". Also, "How much will I spend on electricity". I know Tesla use to show how much t would cost to charge the battery based on your electricity rate.
Either have it under a "Savings" tab , or a TCO Tab.

Still don't agree with this, leaves a bad taste even before you have ordered the bloody thing.

notice that the Australian site doesn't do this, but consumer laws here are pretty strict on how companies advertise price.

Last edited:
If you continue to need to put lipstick on your pig, you might want to reconsider dating pigs :)
The price is high and Tesla simply needs to own it (stop with the lipstick).

Agreed. We live in the middle of the city and even when we had a gasoline V8, our annual gas bill was around $900. This gasoline savings is nonsense and Tesla is better than this.

Just list the actual price as the primary cost of the car already.

I have tracked my fuel consumption over the past two year for my PHEV (both electricity and gas). I average 11,500 miles per year and have spent $550 on gas and electricity per year. That is not even close to the $2000 per year quoted at Tesla's web site. Many people trading up to a Tesla previously owned PHEV's or hybrids. Tesla's "assumptions" are not valid for many people.

Since I can't realize $10,000 in gas savings over five years, I guess I don't qualify to buy a Tesla Model S.

Last edited:
I agree the calculation is pretty arbitrary, I average about $1000/yr in diesel costs, and my electric costs with a Tesla would be about 15c/kWh so I can guarantee I'm not "saving $10,000" to switch.

The only way they could word this to be honest would be to list the actual price, and put a note right below it that depending on your circumstances you could save "up to" $10,000 in fuel. But do not actually subtract it from the cost, that's incredibly sleazy... used car dealer level of sleazy. (of course so is unbundling the destination fee, if I can't opt out of it, you'd better include it in the price!)

With these sleazy games they are playing my biggest concern is what happens when these cars are out of warranty and they hold all the cards and you really have no choice but pay them whatever they ask to get your car fixed? I heard they had already charged someone $15,000 to replace a drive unit out of warranty. If we can't trust them to list the honest cost of the car I'd hate to think what they'd do for out of warranty work... I am a huge fan of Tesla but I hope being reasonable and not being sleazy is something they can be counted to do.

Would they be like, good news is we fixed the issue with the motor but we had to remove and clean all the power cables in the car because after all the electricity that has flown through the wires they had gotten clogged up pretty badly. The wire cleaning is an extra $1250.

With these sleazy games they are playing my biggest concern is what happens when these cars are out of warranty and they hold all the cards and you really have no choice but pay them whatever they ask to get your car fixed? I heard they had already charged someone $15,000 to replace a drive unit out of warranty. If we can't trust them to list the honest cost of the car I'd hate to think what they'd do for out of warranty work... I am a huge fan of Tesla but I hope being reasonable and not being sleazy is something they can be counted to do.

Would they be like, good news is we fixed the issue with the motor but we had to remove and clean all the power cables in the car because after all the electricity that has flown through the wires they had gotten clogged up pretty badly. The wire cleaning is an extra $1250.

They have explicitly stated on investor calls that service is not to be a profit center. Seems to me that would show up in quarterly numbers if they changed their minds.

We all love Tesla, but can you imagine a prospective buyer who has for instance has a long relation with BMW or Mercedes and might consider Tesla. These kind of statements does not adhere to the start of a trustful relationship with a supplier. Strategically a stupid move.