Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renault Zoe ZE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
Here's the real Zoe.

Zoe_trois_quarts_avant.jpg

100 mile range.
84 mph top speed.
30 minute charge time on 63A three phase.
Battery swap.

Reportedly £13,000 plus battery lease.

Forget the Leaf - this is the game changer in Europe.

Slighty less powerful than the Leaf: Do we know what they plan to use for batteries?

The quoted charge times would indicate 22 kWh. I'd assumed it would be Nissan's battery, but a story on ABG today says Renault have just done a big deal with LG Chem.

I just read the Renault site you linked to. Seems a bit confused (eg 400V - 36A - is that 63A in reverse?). Where did you get your more specific details, especially the price?

I had an email directly from Renault UK saying that the ZOE will get 63A charging (the first model in the range to do so when it goes on sale in 2012).

The price has been rumoured in many stories and is given credence by the "slightly cheaper than an equivalent diesel" statements. The Clio 1.5 dCi costs £13190.

Or use some PV to keep the car cool.

BTW, is this 2 door or 4 ? Apparently Renault is trying some doors without the handle. They just open when you touch it !

If you look at the top down shot above, or the photo of it charging in the gallery, you can see the rear door handles, but as Doug says, these are renderings anyway.

The real deal is here - and you can clearly see the rear handles:

2010-paris-auto-show-renault-zoe-preview-medium_18.jpg

Just had an email back from Renault to say thanks for pointing out the typo on the charging and indeed they have now updated the website to read 63A.

By the way, TEG's link above claims a 0-60 time of 8.1 seconds. That seems a bit ambitious but very welcome if true.

Seems like this is true. From here:

Renault ZOE Preview - Technical Specification

DIMENSIONS
Standard rims (inches) 7 J 19
Length (mm) 4,086
Width (mm) 1,788
Height (mm) 1,540
Wheelbase (mm) 2,575
Front track (mm) 1,578
Rear track (mm) 1,578
Front overhang (mm) 815
Rear overhang (mm) 696
Kerb weight (kg) 1,392
Tyres
Specific Michelin tyres

205/45R19 (1)

Boot volume (dm3) (VDA) 292
MOTOR
Type Electric
Transmission Direct drive with reducer and forward/reverse inverter
Power EEC (kW/hp) 60/80
Torque EEC (Nm) 222
BATTERY
Type Lithium-ion
NEDC combined cycle range 100 miles
STEERING AND BRAKES
Power steering Electric, variable rate
Turning circle (between kerbs) (m) 10.35
Parking brake Electric
PERFORMANCE
Aerodynamic coefficient (CdA) 0.29
Top speed 84 mph
0-62 mph (s) 8.1

Just picked up this week's copy of Autocar and there is an interesting piece about the Zoe. It goes into more detail than the online version.

One detail is the £13500 price with £70 per month battery lease, roughly what we'd heard above.

The second was a quote that made me smile...

Much of the detail behind the Zoe's hi-tech interior will make it through to production, although Renault design boss Laurens van den Acker is keen to maintain a balance between the old and the new. "The customers don't want an iPod on wheels," he said. "They want a real car".

Tell that to the Stig...

By the way, the journos are falling head over heels for it and the argument that has broken out on the discussion board is nothing to do with the drive train (is that some sort of turning point?) I really think Renault have got a massive hit on their hands here. It can't come soon enough.

I really like the glass roof but I doubt it will make it to production. Actual car will probably have typical door latches as well. The car is supposed to be about 80% of what we'll see.

I have seen a glass roof on a Scion (Toyota Yaris) last month. Why would that be difficult? Secondly, the retracting door handles have always been a "Wow" point, and seem to be quite in demand for the Model S. I also see some skepticism for 19" rims, when it seems to be a factory option for many upper end cars. Why would Tesla, considered to be competition, not have a glass roof, or retracting handles, or a 19" option? I think you folk are wrong.