Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Consumer Reports Bought a Tesla Model S P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing they had already done some donuts and burnouts earlier and the rubber was already soft because they didn't let the tires cool down. But who knows maybe they lined the car up on existing marks?

The tires being soft is a possibility, I guess. You can definitely see the marks being made as the car moves forward. There were some existing marks, but you can see new ones being made a little to the inside of the old ones, and starting closer to the camera. (The first set of tracks started further back.)

Last edited:
The thing is that the car had 40-something miles when he launched it. So it launched at crazy speed not insane speed. Just imagine the string of profanities when it's launched fully charged :biggrin:.

Not sure it wasn't more fully charged. if you see the Energy Consumption screen where it shows 40 miles of range - they had been hammering the car plenty before that clip was taken. My guess is that was a filler shot - this is a pretty slickly produced video. But damn I want one...

Because I thought if the wheels don't spin there is no rubber lost, so thus no excessive tire wear. I've done some launches and did not think I was wearing my tires down unnecessarily in the process.

Am I wrong about all that?

Probably applying stresses to the drivetrain (yay unlimited mile warranty!) but you are right AFAIK, no slip, no lost rubber. And trust me, if your wheels slip at all, you will feel it in the launch*- it makes a tremendous difference. Your passengers may be subjected to a mere S85 or P85+ strength launch, and may not properly risk cr**ping their pants.

---

*I knew I had the most advanced car in the world when I did one in a new area... didn't realize I was driving over railroad tracks at 45 degrees to the road on wet pavement, and felt the slip. It handled just fine. Afterwards, I realized if I were applying 480KW of power to a ICE and hit the same slip pattern, I'd probably have skidded off the road and crashed.

Because I thought if the wheels don't spin there is no rubber lost, so thus no excessive tire wear. I've done some launches and did not think I was wearing my tires down unnecessarily in the process.

Am I wrong about all that?

The more force you put through the tires the faster they will wear. This applies in straight line acceleration and turning. If the tires spin or slide the wear is greatly amplified.

The more force you put through the tires the faster they will wear. This applies in straight line acceleration and turning. If the tires spin or slide the wear is greatly amplified.

Thanks. That's kind of what I thought would happen. If you accelerate at 3.1 seconds (even if the tires don't smoke or leave tire marks behind) that'd be much harder on the tires than a gentle 8 second acceleration.