Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D going 155 mph / 250 km/h with newest .153 Firmware (Video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

this is my first thread, so please excuse my mistakes.

As .153 arrived today on our P85D, we took it for a spin to test the new top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph).
We drove to an unrestricted part of the German Autobahn and went "full accelerator". I shot a video of that, please excuse the shaky footage!

This seems as meant to be used for high-speed overtaking only, as the speed digits go red at 235 and above, as well as a red dashed bar on the speed dial. After some time, you'll see that the vehicle is limited to the speed of 217 km/h, not by power, as it stays at said speed, although we're not at the yellow dashed "limit line" and "pedal to the metal".
We went almost always "full accelerator" but the car limited its performance. Guess it's an overheat issue here.

Let me know what you guys think!

-David

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this an issue if driving on the Autobahn? I'd imagine 155MPH sustained is a bit high, but considering BMW M cars and Mercedes AMG's can do more than 155MPH without breaking a sweat, this could be a big downside for the Autobahn drivers..

OMG that's a lot of power going in to the motor for accelerating those last 10 kph between 230 and 240 that slowly, of course it's going to overheat badly (the motor not the battery) at is it 18000 RPM? With a gear shift there I guess the Tesla could keep going to 300 kph, but then the power draw from the battery would stop it from going faster.

I think you that's awesome, but I'd like to see a dashcam view, and I'd like to know how the ride was at 235+.

Thanks very much.

Very fast :D
At one point we had to break, but we would've had the 250 a second later if we hadn't.

I'm going to do a new try, going solid 250 (before it limits) with a dashcam and in daylight. The update installed at 8 PM here and we went afterwards, so you probably would not have seen much.

Many of those vehicles are also limited to 155. Not all. But many.

Not in Germany they're not. Do you really think anyone in Germany would buy an AMG55 or M5 and have it NOT go over 155 mph? In the one country in the world where you can legally faster AND in the one country were both those cars are being built? (As well as the RS7).

It's quiet because it's on the Autobahn. Drive on any US freeway and you'll be bouncing around wildly from all of the cracks, gaps, and potholes. And you'll hear every rattle in the car as a result. I wish our freeways were built to Autobahn standards. The US should be ashamed of how poorly it's been maintaining aging infrastructure. Driving through LA in November, I believe my car went airborne over a small sinkhole on the I-5. Our roads are unbelievably bad.

It's quiet because it's on the Autobahn. Drive on any US freeway and you'll be bouncing around wildly from all of the cracks, gaps, and potholes. And you'll hear every rattle in the car as a result. I wish our freeways were built to Autobahn standards. The US should be ashamed of how poorly it's been maintaining aging infrastructure. Driving through LA in November, I believe my car went airborne over a small sinkhole on the I-5. Our roads are unbelievably bad.

A deaf guy wouldn't :)

Thanks for sharing! If possible, try with an almost full battery next time, like 90%
I'm curious about this as well.

My 85D is scheduled for delivery in June (it hovers between Late May and June), and one of the first things I'm going to do is open it up on the A5 near the Frankfurt airport and see how it does. And I want to find a decent mount for my phone in the meantime so that I can get some video as well.

Actually, does anyone know how some videos include telemetry in the video? Are there apps for that? That would be perfect to know.

Not in Germany they're not. Do you really think anyone in Germany would buy an AMG55 or M5 and have it NOT go over 155 mph? In the one country in the world where you can legally faster AND in the one country were both those cars are being built? (As well as the RS7).
Are you sure on that? I don't have a reference, but a few years ago, it was well known that German automakers (except Porsche) had a "gentlemen's agreement" in place to limit all cars to 250km/h (~155mph), to prevent an "arms race" that, they feared, would result in the government mandating a (possibly lowered) limit.

My old 2000 S4 was governed at 155mph in all markets (although it was easy to remove with aftermarket firmware). My (US spec) 996 GT3 is not (I've personally seen 160+ on the track).

This seems as meant to be used for high-speed overtaking only, as the speed digits go red at 235 and above, as well as a red dashed bar on the speed dial. After some time, you'll see that the vehicle is limited to the speed of 217 km/h, not by power, as it stays at said speed, although we're not at the yellow dashed "limit line" and "pedal to the metal".
We went almost always "full accelerator" but the car limited its performance. Guess it's an overheat issue here.

Let me know what you guys think!

-David

I'm not sure what to make of this. If it was a drivetrain overheating issue, I would assume that it would show up as power-limiting.

There's clearly something else going on here when the car pulled back power to hold you to 217 (assuming you had the pedal down the whole time, as the text seems to say) - and it's especially odd that the car would allow 250 km/h initially, then limit you to 217 later.

Never seen a red speedo, either - but that seems to be at a different point. Are the tires rated to handle 250 km/h for an unlimited period?

Maybe it's running some kind of tire heating model and the 217 is to let them cool from the over 235 section?

It's a lot faster at higher SoC.

The electric motors however seem to overheat dramatically than and energy consumption suffers as well. I think efficiency levels are also plummeting with the motors being too hot. If the car shows you that 240kw power limit your losing range fast even at slower speed until it's cool again.

It's a lot faster at higher SoC.

The electric motors however seem to overheat dramatically than and energy consumption suffers as well. I think efficiency levels are also plummeting with the motors being too hot. If the car shows you that 240kw power limit your losing range fast even at slower speed until it's cool again.

Could it be that even as you go slower and come back down on RPMs back in to a zone where the motor should be quite efficient that the heat that has built up causes inefficiency through expansion of metallic components and increased friction? Or does it have to do with a viscous circle occurring where the temperature increase gives rise to an increase in internal resistance which is turn gives more ineffecciency and heat losses?