Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My biggest (only?) annoyance with the TMC layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gpetti

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2013
Calgary, Canada
As with any website I'm sure I could come up with a list of suggestions for improvements; however, by and large I use the site without much trouble and I have my own way of using things - thanks for a great forum!. That said, there is one thing that always catches me out. I often use Quick Links to get to Subscribed Threads but if I'm using the iPad or iPhone it is sometimes easy to select What's New instead. (that isn't the problem). The problem is that in some screens the QuickLinks link disappears and is replaced with "Mark Forums Read". I have probably inadvertently selected this option dozens of times which of course wipes out any record of which threads I have read. Some possible solutions?

Don't put this option on the top level - ever? If these links have to be changed for "What's New" keep the MFR option hidden or under another menu.

Have a warning for this option so it doesn't just just set everything as read without any notice or warning.

Order changed in "new posts"

After you select "new posts", the "mark forums read" is now the first entry on the left in the search results rather than "new posts". Was that on purpose, as it's different then it use to be.

It's three things that are constant:
change, people who complain about it, and smart-allocs who correct people pointing that out :)

Perhaps the only constant is that there's a non-zero number of constants. Try to de-reference that.

Or just use C++ and overload the meaning of "constant" in different contexts. :)

I never click "Mark Forums Read" so I dunno if this request is already implemented...

When invoking that, is there a confirmation prompt? If not, there should be. It's not something (IMO) people want to do often so it shouldn't be unduly annoying to have to confirm; and for those that only do it by accident, this might be a "savior" dialog.

I never click "Mark Forums Read" so I dunno if this request is already implemented...

When invoking that, is there a confirmation prompt? If not, there should be. It's not something (IMO) people want to do often so it shouldn't be unduly annoying to have to confirm; and for those that only do it by accident, this might be a "savior" dialog.

No, there is not one. I use the functionality every day. I would not like to have a confirmation dialog.

Ok, my preference would be that there would be a distinctive "mark all forums read" button in a consistent location whether you had been reading the forums via the "Subscribed forums", "Forums", or "What's New?" options. Having a single button, in a single place on all forums would be the most flexible and easiest to find option no matter how each individual chose to read the forum.