Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will the Model S get LED headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thegruff, I realize you are across the pond and regulations are different there, but in the U.S., (to my knowledge), LED headlights are still not approved for legal use. The ancillary lights like fog, cornering, brake, DRLs are, but the primary headlight is not (again, to my knowledge). Personally, I don't expect Tesla to release LED headlights until either a) they are legal in the U.S., or b) they are REQUIRED in another market (such as the U.K.).

, but in the U.S., (to my knowledge), LED headlights are still not approved for legal use.

What about the Lexus CT200H and more frequently : the 2015 Toyota Corolla. I don't know about the US but here in Canada, we usually get the Us models and the 2015 Corolla has LED Headlights.

Edit : yep, the US model has LED Headlights. See here.
Edit2 : and all of Acura's lineup with "Jewel Eye™ LED headlights"

thegruff, I realize you are across the pond and regulations are different there, but in the U.S., (to my knowledge), LED headlights are still not approved for legal use. The ancillary lights like fog, cornering, brake, DRLs are, but the primary headlight is not (again, to my knowledge). Personally, I don't expect Tesla to release LED headlights until either a) they are legal in the U.S., or b) they are REQUIRED in another market (such as the U.K.).

Audi does Full LED headlights on the higher end trims for their cars in the US.

Well I am more than happy to be wrong! :)

I must have missed when this became acceptable. I do recall an article recently about the same issues with high-beams. The Corolla has "
  • LED low-beam headlights with halogen high beams
".

Perhaps I misremembered because of that article. So then back to thegruf's question, when Tesla?!? :)

Plenty of cars have LED lighting. There is an ALL-LED option for most of the new Audi vehicles (my 2014 S6 had this, amazing!). I'm sure Tesla is working on it, and my guess is that they are testing it (those photos we all saw) more so for the Model X than anything. But, IMO, there are going to be HUGE changes/upgrades in the Model X that the S won't have at least not right away. My best guess: Tesla will release a HUGE reskin/update to the Model S later this year or early next year, to bring it up to speed with the Model X. Expect the X, however, to be "supreme being" for at least a few months, to help keep interest and get new orders going.

Our Acura MDX has full LED's too, which are now standard for all Acura models. It's only a matter of time- I suspect it'll happen once the Model X starts getting produced or shortly after, because I'm sure a lot of headlight components will be shared.

They may be an interim period where some Model S's are shipped with only 1 LED headlight and 1 Xenon light due to supply issues. :)

LED's are cheap these days, I don't know why it's still a high-priced option on some luxury makes.

You're thinking about laser headlights. LED are approved.

The LED lights that are not approved in the good old USofA are the matrix LED headlights that Audi offers. Matrix LED lights allow you to use your high beam LED lights 100% of the time. individual LED bulbs turn off when the beam of your lights shine on cars in front of you and also when the beam hits oncoming traffic. The individual high beam LED's are continually turning on and off like a symphonic piece so as not to blind the cars in front and the oncoming traffic. The lights turn when the car turns based on GPS navigation, not based on turning the steering wheel and direction of travel. There are many youtube videos to watch them in action. Quite amazing.

i would hope the Model S gets it soon, even a base model corolla has LED headlights (yes a BASE MODEL!)

my neighbor just got a corolla to boot around in to get rid of the dying X5 he had, there are quite a few things included as base that even high end cars do not have.

See 2014 Toyota Corolla Review: Theres a Reason This Car Is a Top Seller - Motor Review

Quote: "The car comes standard with LED headlights. These lights are brighter than normal lights, making it easier to see road signs and animals at night. They also help reduce driver fatigue because they are brighter. Finally, they prove that advanced lighting technology does not have to be expensive, and hopefully other manufacturers follow Toyota’s suit."

Kind of a shock that the Model S needs to catch up to a low cost Toyota!

See 2014 Toyota Corolla Review: Theres a Reason This Car Is a Top Seller - Motor Review

Quote: "The car comes standard with LED headlights. These lights are brighter than normal lights, making it easier to see road signs and animals at night. They also help reduce driver fatigue because they are brighter. Finally, they prove that advanced lighting technology does not have to be expensive, and hopefully other manufacturers follow Toyota’s suit."

Kind of a shock that the Model S needs to catch up to a low cost Toyota!

And I bet the Corolla also has functioning cup holders :)