Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road/tire noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my car back after driving a SC loaner for a week. Loaner had 21" wheels, my car has the factory 19" and Primacy tires. Both have coils.
I noticed a big difference in interior sound on semi-bumpy roads, when going 40-50 MPH. Much louder with my car. Sort of a low frequency "buffeting" sound, like you get in any car with only a back window open.

Anyone else experience this?

Just got my car back after driving a SC loaner for a week. Loaner had 21" wheels, my car has the factory 19" and Primacy tires. Both have coils.
I noticed a big difference in interior sound on semi-bumpy roads, when going 40-50 MPH. Much louder with my car. Sort of a low frequency "buffeting" sound, like you get in any car with only a back window open.

Anyone else experience this?

Crap. I am having the same problem with my 19" stock Goodyear tires and was just about ready to pull the trigger on Primacy tires. The Primacys are much more expensive than the Goodyears and so if the same problem occurs with them, I might as well save my money.

I have about 45,000 miles on the car, but use separate winter tires, so somewhat less than that on the Goodyears. They have lots of tread left. I started noticing the noise late last summer, and over the winter, while I had my snows on (which are much quieter), I took the summer set into a good tire dealer I know. At first he thought it might be "scalloping" of the tread or cupping due to over inflation, but upon examination felt that wasn't the case. I had him go ahead and re-balance all four, but when I put them on the car last weekend, the loud noise is back. It sounds like I'm driving on big knobby off-road tires and there is the sort of "throbbing" or "buffeting" aspect to it as well. Even the audio at 8 or 9 won't drown it out.

I had a late 2014 loaner P85+ with 21's, and the road noise was much higher than my late 2014 with 19" primacy and coils. My car is extremely quiet and I don't get any sort of buffeting sound unless one window is open.

Two week old P85D on 19s here. I get the same buffeting noise every once in a while depending on the road. Thought it was really strange and planned to ask service, but haven't yet. Interesting that others have it as well.

Thanks JohnQ, I think that was it. The car now has 4 adjustable rubber feet, two on the gate two in the track, which can be turned by hand. I tightened them up (unscrewed them so they stick out more) and the noise is greatly diminished.