Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla plows into Buckhead boutique

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That car completely plowed through the entire store, how can you possibly apply so much force to the pedal when all you are trying to do is park? I don't get it. The other day I was going out of a parking spot and put the car in D instead of R. While I actually accelerated and moved the wrong way, it wasn't strong enough to cause a huge movement of the vehicle, it was just enough for a little scare.

It only takes about one second of mental confusion and applying progressive force on the "brake pedal" (except it is actually the go pedal) to take a massive high powered car like a Model S across a sidewalk and through a store window like that.

That car completely plowed through the entire store, how can you possibly apply so much force to the pedal when all you are trying to do is park? I don't get it. The other day I was going out of a parking spot and put the car in D instead of R. While I actually accelerated and moved the wrong way, it wasn't strong enough to cause a huge movement of the vehicle, it was just enough for a little scare.

It only takes about one second of mental confusion and applying progressive force on the "brake pedal" (except it is actually the go pedal) to take a massive high powered car like a Model S across a sidewalk and through a store window like that.

or heaven forbid an ill timed muscle spasm flooring it when you meant to make slow forward progress.

Heaven knows the human body can fail in so many ways. Haven't we all watched House and a ton of other medical shows?

here is a short list conditions that could cause a spasm I grabbed after googling a page that listed these and others that don't fit the scenario:

Dehydration
Diabetes
Multiple sclerosis
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
Parkinson's disease
Epilepsy
hypoparathyroidism
Anemia
and many other undiagnosed or temporary conditions that could cause muscle cramps / spasms.

The leg itself could be the cause not the brain trying to control it. Or it could be something between the brain and the Leg.

so it likely wasn't the car but we still don't know if it was the brain or some other body part that failed to work properly.

I was made aware of this incident by my sister-in-law who lives in Bulkhead, in Atlanta. One of her friends, who is an interior decorator knows the owner of the shop. She was told by the owner that the driver of the Tesla is insisting that the car "just took off" and that there must be some sort of accelerator problem as the root cause. To make matters worse, the building has been viewed as unacceptable for business as there is some sort of structural issue after the accident. My sister-in-law suspects there will be major lawsuits forthcoming.

This is all "she said" information...

I was made aware of this incident by my sister-in-law who lives in Bulkhead, in Atlanta. One of her friends, who is an interior decorator knows the owner of the shop. She was told by the owner that the driver of the Tesla is insisting that the car "just took off" and that there must be some sort of accelerator problem as the root cause. To make matters worse, the building has been viewed as unacceptable for business as there is some sort of structural issue after the accident. My sister-in-law suspects there will be major lawsuits forthcoming.

This is all "she said" information...

That is the most common response given by drivers of cars that end up going the wrong direction.
I look forward to hearing the results of the log files. Unfortunately, unless the driver follows through with the lawsuit, we will never find out.

According to this, a driver crashes into a building as many as 60 times a day!
The Overlooked Threat of Vehicle-Into-Building Accidents | Risk Management

Here are details on the daycare accident in which the driver was certain he was hitting the brakes when he was really accelerating.
Car accelerated through Goldenrod Road day care, FHP report confirms - Orlando Sentinel

Car Drives Through Parking Garage, Crashes Into Office | NBC4 Washington

Two injured after car drives into building | NZNews | 3 News

Last edited:
This sort of accident is not uncommon. This particular accident got coverage because of the car model involved.
On April 30th a Swedish Police officer (allegedly) failed to stop the Volvo V70 unmarked police car he was driving and plowed it right into a group of High school students in Stockholm. Four students had to be taken to hospital.

NOTE: VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED. DISTURBING VIDEO!

LiveLeak.com - Swedish students hit by police car