Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New pricing not as rosy as it appears

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At first glance, I thought the price for my soon-to-be-ordered S85 configuration had gone down by $2800 under the new pricing. Then I looked more closely:

-$4200 Tech package is gone, replaced by Auto Pilot at $2500
-Automatic lift gate, door handle puddle lights and cornering lights from Tech Package moved to Premium package for $5,000 - OK, I can live without those anyway, although the ability to limit how high the hatch would open would have been useful to clear my garage door.
-Destination and Doc fee increased to $1200 and no longer is included in the posted price and options list, but has to be added to the price.

Conclusion: Price declined, but only by $1600 and some nice options disappeared from the mix.

Destination and Doc fee increased $30. I know that will push down the demand curve but hey Tesla is production constrained not demand constrained.

Only $1600 in savings? The Bastards!

Seriously, putting the power liftgate in the premium package (i.e.premium materials package) is dastardly. :cursing:

Destination and Doc fee increased $30. I know that will push down the demand curve but hey Tesla is production constrained not demand constrained.

Only $1600 in savings? The Bastards!

Seriously, putting the power liftgate in the premium package (i.e.premium materials package) is dastardly. :cursing:

My point was not that the delivery fee was increased slightly, but rather that it is now a fine print add-on instead of included in the prominently posted price.

I park in a mulit-floor garage, rated for 6'6". The Chevy Tahoe (w/Z71 rack) works fine. Without limiting liftgate height, the Tesla's hatch goes right into the pipes. Its a small detail, within new "rosy" pricing. I don't know how many people spend for 'Auto Pilot Convenience' features, and what you get in the $5k Premium Package, but believe Tesla landed well if they were attempting to separate necessity from "premium" function. I'm still bummed they want $2,500 for Sirius XM.

I'm still bummed they want $2,500 for Sirius XM.

You do get a few extra speakers and a heck of a lot of extra bass for that $2500, too. :)

I used to be a big Sirius XM fan on previous cars, but now I find that the music selection and sound quality is so much better with Slacker and Tunein that I hardly ever use XM any more. You can even find some of the same live news streams on Tunein, like CNN, NPR, and Bloomberg.