Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D 0-60 in 5.2 sec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
70D is a 85D killer. 85D does not make sense i feel.

Not everyone is concerned all that much about price -- and history tells us that more people are willing to pay for extended range rather than pinch pennies. I guess only time will tell but I'd sure like to bet you that not only will the 85 not die (as you claim that it will be killed by the 70), but it will outsell the 70. Let's check back later to see who is right.

I predict the S85 or S85D will be replaced by 90KW or 100KW soon because it makes sense to differentiate the two models.
Battery costs less each year so we can expect the improvement of range with minimal price increase. Hope this is Tesla's product strategy since they claim they are the technology company and happened to build cars. Technology advancement always favors consumers in price.

70D is a 85D killer. 85D does not make sense i feel.

85D fills the performance gap between the 70D and P85D. I still think 70D is now the sweet spot though. I'm sure the 5.2 is underrated, since every non-P Tesla model prior has been underrated (MS60 has proven to get 0-60 in 5.1 seconds, and 4.9 seconds for the MS85). So if they're advertising 4.4 on the 85D now, I would bet the real number is 4.2 or so.

There are some unscientific videos showing the early 85D's going 0-60mph in 4.4, but using a video of a speedometer is going to have a large margin of error. We need some VBox testing to see if the earlier 85D's match the 4.4 rating of the current ones on Tesla's site.

Also, there is always the possibility that people have timed a down hill, or tailwind run to obtain those quicker times.

I supposed you need to do 2 runs back to back in opposite directions and then average the result. Or go to a dragstrip which is confirmed to be flat. Even a slight incline/decline can make a difference, even if it's not perceptible from the driver's seat.

I have believed for a long time that 100-110kw battery is inevitable. What I didn't stop to consider until recently was charging times. Tesla has to be reluctant any a larger battery since their SC network peaks at 120kw. If you had a larger battery of that size, you could be looking at 1.5hrs or more to charge to 100% and I think that goes against this idea that supercharging is fast and convenient. Ideally they may want you to skip every other charger though and that may force you to stay the full hour or more to get there. And I didn't even mention the times on a single home charger. 12hrs for a full charge is sure cutting it close.

I have believed for a long time that 100-110kw battery is inevitable. What I didn't stop to consider until recently was charging times. Tesla has to be reluctant any a larger battery since their SC network peaks at 120kw. If you had a larger battery of that size, you could be looking at 1.5hrs or more to charge to 100% and I think that goes against this idea that supercharging is fast and convenient. Ideally they may want you to skip every other charger though and that may force you to stay the full hour or more to get there. And I didn't even mention the times on a single home charger. 12hrs for a full charge is sure cutting it close.

But, a larger capacity battery can stay at the higher part of the charge curve for far longer. So you refill more miles per unit time than a lower capacity battery. For a road trip, you might only charge to 60% before leaving the supercharger.

I predict the S85 or S85D will be replaced by 90KW or 100KW soon because it makes sense to differentiate the two models.
Battery costs less each year so we can expect the improvement of range with minimal price increase. Hope this is Tesla's product strategy since they claim they are the technology company and happened to build cars. Technology advancement always favors consumers in price.

Jandkw, do you want to put a date on your prediction? I'm with you - and in Florida, I don't want or need AWD. But, I will go ahead and get the larger battery.

I'm on the fence at the moment between the 70D and the 85, but leaning towards the 85 just because of the additional range.

Isn't the combined torque and hp of the two smaller motors of 70D the same or less than the 60's big motor? Still, delivering torque to the road via 4 tires instead of 2 should be more efficient.

Possibly, but the 60kWh battery and inverter can't feed enough electricity to the motor to take full advantage of the power of which the motor is capable. Case in point, the P85 has the same motor as the 60 but much more power. The S85 also has the same motor but more power. So the assumption is that the 70D has more power output from the battery than the 60.