Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for fair market value for used Tesla's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

New member here (I posted my intro in the other thread). I'm one of the cash constrained folks who would love to get a Tesla Model S. Looking to buy a used or ex-demo in the Nov-Dec time frame with a budget of $50k. Can anyone either break my heart and say not a chance by Dec that I'd find one in that price bracket (one with a non-salvage title that is) so I just get used to the thought of buying a Volt/Leaf. If it's a possibility, what have they been selling for currently for with higher mileage (30k+) and lower spec? I imagine the S60 non-auto pilot will go down a lot in the next few months with the S70d launch, and wouldn't mind thoughts on that as well.

-D

Some are "just" starting to reach into the upper $50s. After the release of the X perhaps there will be a glut of S returns (but not necessarily some people will have both and S and X) with a continued price pressure. However, it's still all speculative at this point. Your best low-priced options right now are used Leafs/Volts (if purchasing). However, leasing a new Leaf/Volt is very reasonable right now, so you might go that route to hold you over for a while (many others on TMC have done this in the past). Alternatively, you should look into demo or CPO from Tesla. I don't think they've reached the $50s yet, but perhaps by year end. Also, another consideration are federal and state tax credits. Many states are dropping/lowering credits (WA, GA soon, CA lowered from $5k to $2.5K a while back). When these credits are reduced/eliminated it will affect new and used prices. Good luck on your "wait."

It doesn't seem to work this way.
2013 Tesla Model S NAVIGATION / ELECTRIC / WIFI for $73,999 in Toronto | autoTRADER.ca

$74K Canadian for a used Model S 40 ... not sure what the seller is thinking...

Just look at the "for sale" section on the TMC Web site. Some sellers have absurdly unrealistic expectations of what their used cars are worth. Someone just posted a 2014 S85 (not even with AWD) for 86,900. For that price you could get a 2015 S85D with the latest improvements and a 0-60 of 4.4s by purchasing an inventory vehicle and combining that with a tax rebate. Or you could put another $10K and purchase an inventory P85D, as we were offered inventory P85Ds in the $105K range that would end up being in the mid to late 90s when the federal and state tax incentives are added up.

So if you are buying a used Model S, look for what is out there, especially with inventory and CPO vehicles and be careful not to overpay.

The OP should have no problems picking up an S60 for right around $50K in just a few months, as that's what they'd be worth. The 70D completely changed the game on the low end just as how the P85D changed the game on the high end with the P85 when the P85D came out.

Thanks for the input, it aligns with what I was thinking (hoping) for. Makes me rather excited, though my better half may not feel the same way. I just need to fend off scope creep as we get closer to the end of my lease. I can actually completely see myself getting financing for a inventory S70 instead of the S60 and rationalizing it as only a 'few more bucks per month' for AWD and autopilot. It does mean I can stop looking for deals on Volts/Leafs for the next few months as well so I consider that the biggest win.

Thanks for the input, it aligns with what I was thinking (hoping) for. Makes me rather excited, though my better half may not feel the same way. I just need to fend off scope creep as we get closer to the end of my lease. I can actually completely see myself getting financing for a inventory S70 instead of the S60 and rationalizing it as only a 'few more bucks per month' for AWD and autopilot. It does mean I can stop looking for deals on Volts/Leafs for the next few months as well so I consider that the biggest win.

The 70D is the best value for a Tesla and you can get a new one with a couple of options for about 80K. In a few months you can find an inventory 70D with about $7,500 in discounts and then you can combine that with the $7,500 tax rebate for a total discount of about $15,000. So for the mid 60s you can buy essentially a brand new car with autopilot and all the latest features and with the safety and traction of AWD. I realize that would be $15K more but whatever you pay more you will get about half of that back when you sell.

Given how you can buy a 70D for just about $15K more if I were you and you still wanted to get an S60 I would look for one for about $45-50K as I feel that's what they will be worth when the 70Ds are out very soon. The 70D likely instantly depreciated the values of 60s by about $5-10K.

Another example of high Canadian value on a used 60:

Recently quoted by Tesla a trade in value of $69k CAD ($79,350 include taxes as a trade in value) for my 13 month old showroom purchased Model S - 11 months ownership for me). That means I would not let it go for less than $ 63,480 USD @ 0.80 cents on the dollar if I were to sell it to a US buyer, but its likely to be traded in shortly.